Penn 349 Cradle Reel Adventure...

Started by coastal_dan, March 17, 2017, 01:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Wow....that thing is a beast....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

coastal_dan

Wow!  That thing is gi-hugous...not a word, but perfectly suited for that reel combo.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Bill B

Bro that is really an incredible set   :o :o....cant wait to see the rod you top it with.... Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

That's so sweet Dan.

With all of the machinists we have on this sight, you'd think we could find someone to make up mating ferrules.  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

54bullseye

Dan if your looking for a ferrule and nut I have a bunch of old stuff I have bought threw the years I can check it out. Looks like male needs to be around 7/8". If you want get an accurate measurement  and I  will try to find one.   John Taylor

coastal_dan

Thanks all  :)

John - That would be fantastic!  I believe it was a hair over 7/8" but let me put a set of calipers on it to verify.  I'll message you once I get the info.
Dan from Philadelphia...

thorhammer

That's a nice shiny bauble you got there brother! Good work! What kind of tip are you gonna do? Have you decided or are you going hold off to see if you get an appx. mfg. period to go period correct (bamboo, wood or glas?)  When you get to that point you may be able to find an old donor with a turned wood handle that could be ferruled and rewrapped; if you could come up with such a Harnell or other root-beer / mahogany color S-glas, then wrapped in green accent that would pop. No epoxy :), CP Ultra or the like for a low build. JMO, lol. Your stick, put a Grafighter with Aleutecnos rollers on it if you choose!

J

54bullseye

I would say Glass all the way MHO. If it is indeed some sort of Wahoo special maybe a 30 lb or light 50 lb rod maybe Silaflex  or Harnell or Truline with either old style Aftco rollers or maybe first guide a small double roller then old hoop guides with roller top and like thorhammer said a turned wood fore grip or cork ?? It will be a neat rig that I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT !!! Let me know size of ferrule.   John Taylor

Penn Chronology

Fiberglass rod would be the way to go. I checked the Penn 6/0 tip I have and the ferrule is too small for your handle.

54bullseye

Dan let me know if you get an accurate measurement for the ferrule size as I do have a few. Two I have at close with rods and grips there nice old school fiberglass !   John Taylor   I will PM you my cell number

coastal_dan

So after a few months, not a ton of headway on this, but it looks great in the case ;)  John (54bullseye) and I had a fantastic conversation over the phone back in the spring and I ended up mailing him the cradle (which reminds me I need to send him shipping money, oops  :-\)  He was kind enough to take a look and send her back with a Collar Nut and a ferrule that I'll be modifying to fit.  This will be a long project, with 'life' breaks in between  :D

Here she sits for the time being...

Dan from Philadelphia...

thorhammer

If you decide how you want to tip it let me know and I'll keep an eye out for a donor in my travels. At worst you can lay hands on an old Magnaflex for the glass (actually I have some solid blanks) and put on a retro paint job and wrap, like a spiral tiger wrap over gold foil underlay.

sdlehr

Quote from: thorhammer on June 12, 2017, 05:22:13 PM
like a spiral tiger wrap over gold foil underlay.
now that would look nice!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector