Penn 349 Cradle Reel Adventure...

Started by coastal_dan, March 17, 2017, 01:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Maybe spray the blank matching green with black or brown thread as below, or black, maybe chestnut blank to math handle with green thread spiraled over gold. this technique was widely used in the 60's or so.

54bullseye

That would look nice but if it were mine I would find a nice old school reddish brown fiberglass rod maybe a Silaflex or Trueline they used to use those on the early Nep-Tuna's. Or you could just sell it to me I have a perfect spot in my cradles it would fit then you could let me worry about the rod !! I will give you double $$$$$ what you paid !!   Lol !  I like it !!    John Taylor

Penn Chronology

thorhammer

Quote from: 54bullseye on June 12, 2017, 07:44:59 PM
That would look nice but if it were mine I would find a nice old school reddish brown fiberglass rod maybe a Silaflex or Trueline they used to use those on the early Nep-Tuna's. Or you could just sell it to me I have a perfect spot in my cradles it would fit then you could let me worry about the rod !! I will give you double $$$$$ what you paid !!   Lol !  I like it !!    John Taylor
[/quote

Agree, if that old blank color comes up that's the way to go; that's why I said maybe the mahogany  / roobeer paint if you had to "make it happen"

54bullseye

So Dan I got the itch today to get a rod to fit the cradle as I have been looking at it with out for long enough. I had a few old tips but none had a ferrule to match. So I took the one that matched the cradle best IMHO and heated old ferrule and got it off. Then built up rod with fiber glass tape and epoxy to fit the ferrule I had given you. Then used epoxy to glue it together. Then spent about 2 hours with a file shaping the two little tits needed to fit into cradle to keep it straight. So I am happy with the way it came out. Would trust it on a big old stripper or Blue fish no problem !!   Thanks Dan for letting her go !!   John Taylor

MarkT

That's awesome! Are you going to fish it or just use it as a display?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

54bullseye

I would fish it but I have so many cradles I would like to try it will be hard to pick.    John

Bill B

Great looking cradle reel....good to see it's staying in the family....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

coastal_dan

Well done John!  It would have taken me a couple years to get that far  ;)  I'm glad it has a great new home among your other cradles.

I would say the title of the thread is fitting...so, the Adventure continues!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...