Anyone want to share a good Cioppino recipe?

Started by steelhead_killer, March 18, 2017, 03:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

I always order this when in SF.  I have made it a couple of times at home.  Never really lives up to the restaurant flavors.  Anyone have a great one they would like to share?

Lou  - I saw your pictures but no recipe.

Andy
><)))">

swill88

Quote from: steelhead_killer on March 18, 2017, 03:09:26 AM
I always order this when in SF.  I have made it a couple of times at home.  Never really lives up to the restaurant flavors.  Anyone have a great one they would like to share?

Lou  - I saw your pictures but no recipe.

Andy

Andy, the question begs... where in San Francisco?

Please.

Steve

STRIPER LOU

Hey Andy, Ciopinno is one of my favorites! I don't have a recipe as almost all my cooking is done on the fly.
The most important thing is not to overcook the seafood. I always pre cook it partially and combine with the sauce for several minutes at the end.

Diced fire roasted tomatoes are the best. Fry onions, garlic, parsley, oregano, crushed red pepper and deglaze with red wine. I like to cook the tomatoes so they break down a bit. All seafood except for the clams and mussels are cooked 3/4 of the way and set aside. You can also add some grated cheese, EVOO, and a little clam juice if the sauce is too thick.

Once the sauce takes on the desired flavor you can add the clams. Make sure the sauce is covered and bubbling and time for around 7 minutes, that's about what it takes for the clams to open. When 5 of the 7 minutes are up add mussels. By the time the clams open and an additional minute or two add the other seafood goodies and its ready to serve. I do everything in a large covered skillet.

Google Ray Rao from Vegas and check his recipe for cioppino or Frutti  de Mare.
He's old school and one of the best. His place is always packed. In Vegas, if your not the best of the best you don't survive. His recipes are usually authentic Italian! I believe he has a place in N.Y. also.

Just finished breakfast and I'm hungry!
Have a great day,  ..  Lou

Alto Mare

Good tip on not to overcook the fish Lou that will make it.

There are hundreds of Cioppino recipes and as Dominick as mentioned most claim they have the best :).

In my region in  Italy, we call it Brodetto. Brodetto di Vasto is one my favorite, the fish is caught in the morning and cooked that afternoon.
If you google Brodetto di Vasto you get an idea.

Here is one from San Francisco, I believe he did a good job:
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=cioppino+youtube#id=1&vid=558665b34079a4363067ec55f273f791&action=click

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelhead_killer

Thanks Lou for the tip.  Sal that recipe looks perfect.  I am going with that one.  Steve, we usually end up at Scoma's on one of the piers, can't recall which at the moment.  Probably not the best place in SF but they have always been good to us and the consistency of the food and service has been great over the years.  Plus it ties in well with the tourist thing...

Thanks!  Photo's to follow!

Dungeness Crab, Mussels, Shrimp, Calamari and a firm flesh fish that looks the best at the seafood market.  Oh yeah and good crusty bread! 

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

Reel 224

Lou; I had to laugh at that statement. "I just wing it"  ;D It's same way in our home I don't follow a recipe the same way twice, The chef that was on Sal's post said it himself. He never does that dish the same way. I do a off shot of that with orzo and it's delicious. But I have to have San-Marzino  tomatoes.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

El Pescador

I've got to tell you...

For the best tasting and hardly any work on my behalf,

Stopping by Dominick's for Cioppino works for me ::) 8)

Dominick puts his heart & soul into his version, and with some crusty sourdough bread and generous goblet of red wine, Dinner at Dominick's could not be easier!!!!!

If I'm anywhere near Moss Landing on Hwy. 1, between Santa Cruz & Monterey,

I stop by Phil's Seafood Market, his Cioppino is fantastic, the addition of Saffron really kicks it up.

http://www.louandlaura.com/?p=3745

Andy, next time in San Francisco, stop by Taddich Grill, they make a great Cioppino.

Post photos of your batch.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

steelhead_killer

Wayne I went with your suggestion after viewing the video.  Made the sauce yesterday.

Added the seafood:  Calamari, Shrimp, Scallops, Dungeness Crab, Clams and Sturgeon for the firm white fish:

I had the take a quick pic of the first bowl as it went fast:

Highly recommend this recipe!  Everyone loved it!  Served with sourdough toasted bread for soaking up all the goodness from the bottom of the  bowl!  Thanks guys!

Andy
><)))">

El Pescador

Andy,

Your Cioppino looks fantastic, too bad we don't have smell-O-vision on this website!!!!

Nice job.

Wayne

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

STRIPER LOU

Yummo! Looks really good Andy  :o. Its got to be over the top with all that crab in it!

.................Lou

theswimmer

Quote from: El Pescador on March 18, 2017, 02:42:16 PM
I've got to tell you...

For the best tasting and hardly any work on my behalf,

Stopping by Dominick's for Cioppino works for me ::) 8)

Dominick puts his heart & soul into his version, and with some crusty sourdough bread and generous goblet of red wine, Dinner at Dominick's could not be easier!!!!!

If I'm anywhere near Moss Landing on Hwy. 1, between Santa Cruz & Monterey,

I stop by Phil's Seafood Market, his Cioppino is fantastic, the addition of Saffron really kicks it up.

http://www.louandlaura.com/?p=3745

Andy, next time in San Francisco, stop by Taddich Grill, they make a great Cioppino.

Post photos of your batch.

Wayne

Wayne,
This is where the big boat 'Psalms" is located.
Don't think I get my Cioppino fix every time we go out?
Maybe something we can do at Edison?
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

El Pescador

Quote from: theswimmer on March 20, 2017, 04:18:42 PM
Wayne,
This is where the big boat 'Psalms" is located.
Don't think I get my Cioppino fix every time we go out?
Maybe something we can do at Edison?
Best,
Jonathan

JT,

Yes, Love to do something special food-wise during the Edison Lake Trip.  
Let's bring in Dominick for his food ideas, the man knows his way around the kitchen.  

Wayne

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

steelhead_killer

You could easily make the sauce a day or two before and just pack it up to combine with a fresh catch later...

Andy
><)))">