Servicing a shimano symetre 2000RG

Started by lifeofRiley, March 18, 2017, 06:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lifeofRiley

Hello,

I'm servicing the above reel for a friend. I've done probably 20 shimano spinners before, but all were front drag models. I'm just wondering if there are any difficulties I should be made aware of on tearing down and clean/relube a rear drag Shimano spinner. I noticed there is a pin on the main shaft upon which the spool rests. Is this left as is during break down, or is it removable? I will be studying the schematic before I begin this reel, but as always, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, and happy St. Patrick's day!!
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

foakes

You can just leave the pin in as you clean the spool shaft -- no reason to remove.

Shimano schematics are good -- so pay attention as you are already obviously doing...

Remember that many of these parts can be harmed by certain cleaning agents -- so be careful.

The first few of these I did, I would disassemble the reel -- then lay out each part as close to the schematic rendition as possible on a 12" X 18" piece of clean paper -- making notes as needed.

Then I would take a few pics -- then clean all of the parts.

Like any spinner (no matter how many parts they have) reassembly can be broken down pretty simply into a few completed components that will be put together towards the end -- complete the rotor and bail assembly, complete the Rear Drag assembly, complete the gear assembly, complete the A/R assembly, complete the crank lastly.

Put all of this together -- tune, adjust, test all functions -- bail flip, drag, A/R, smoothness of gears and bearings, rotation of head, spool alignment, etc.

Good to go.

After you do a few of these, the process will be simpler and quicker because of the knowledge and skills you have learned.

I service these because folks expect me to, but I charge $28 instead of the typical $18 or $20.  These take much more time because quite frankly, there are 40% to 50% more parts than are necessary, IMO, for a device to retrieve fishing line.  Parts are not beefy, and in many cases, parts are not available after a few short years.  So you end up trying to send off for aluminum, plastic, or pot metal pieces -- and if not available, you just wasted all of you diagnosis time because I would not charge a client for something that I could not repair properly. 

So be careful if you are going to do these on a regular basis -- it can eat up all of your time -- and the client just wants it fixed -- they do not understand the complexities.

Many times, if they are not full of sand and grease -- and seem to function fairly well -- I just do a partial disassembly, replace the drag stack, lube everything up, remove and service the bail assembly, check all functions twice -- then just charge the client $15 or $18.

But if you have to go into it all of the way -- even $28 is not enough -- I just figure that the bitter averages out with the sweet -- and move forward -- and I suck it up.  Knowing that many of these I will just refuse if too bad appearing in the future, many will be unrepairable, and I will not encourage this business.

These are just my opinions -- and others may have much more experience on these then I do -- so do not be discouraged by my opinions -- just cautious.

So in general, Rear drag spinners are a labor of love -- and a challenge -- not a lucrative endeavor.  If there were only rear drag Asian Spinners in the world -- like these Shimanos -- I would either become very good at working on them -- or not work on reels ever again.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

lifeofRiley

Thank you for the advice Fred, it is much appreciated. I think I'll stick with a partial teardown. The reel functions very well, it's just a little dirty. Freshwater only and there isn't any corrosion on the exterior of the reel. Plus I haven't been able to find the schematic on line. I'm glad I know about these rear drag spinners for the future.
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7