Penn 704 rebuild

Started by Jerseybros, March 19, 2017, 07:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseybros

I know this has been done before, but I took a couple pictures throughout the process of restoring a penn 704.

So here's what we are starting with.  Very tight to crank, and lots of surface corrosion:

Jerseybros

The first thing that I started with was disassembling the reel:
Undo the drag knob first and remove the spool.

Next using a flathead screwdriver remove the side plate by take out the three screws holding it on the housing.

Removing the screw threaded through the crosswind and spool shaft allows us to slide out the shaft.
Using our pliers we loosen and remove the nut holding the rotor to the pinion shaft and we can then remove the rotor(cup).

Once the cup is off we can pop off the rubber spacer by hand.
And three more flathead screws give us access to the pinion bearing, and also to slide out the pinion shaft.

Winding the handle backwards unscrews the handle from the main gear, allowing the main gear to slide out the housing.

This leaves us with a fairly empty housing and this is the stage that I will start with the photos:
Here I've started to drill out the pinion bushing with a 12mm drill bit,
I've also used the same bit to drill out the main gear inside bushing and then popped out the rest of the bushing with a hammer and screwdriver from the outside.

Here you can see the drilled pinion bushing and main gear bushing, I've also pressed into place the two bearings that will replace the bushings!!

Jerseybros

Taking a break from the internals of the reel, I marked out the rotor(cup) to be drilled and went to town first with a smaller bit as a pilot and then using larger bit of your choosing. 

Popping a dremel wheel attachment into my drill I connected the holes to make rudamentary slots that I then went back with a hand file to clean things up.  I also removed the far side bail attachment with a hack saw and filed smooth. 

Jerseybros

Same treatment drilling the spool.

On the top lip of the spool make sure to de-burr the holes very well.  I went back and hit them all with a round file as well to round the outside edges of the holes so that when casting, any loose line that gets compressed into the holes may easily unwind off the spool without binding in the holes. 

Jerseybros

On the side plate, the original emblem was missing, and was severely corroded so I filled the indent with epoxy and sanded smooth for paint.

Jerseybros

Back to the inside of the reel.

One of the things I don't like about these reels is the line lay.
Even with mono they give you the hourglass shape which hurts casting distance and can cause wind knots.

Similar to how van staal and zeebaas fixed this, we need to change the shape of the cross wind to gain a more even line lay.

The first two pictures show how I drilled out the original cross wind, filled the gap with epoxy and then redrilled the crosswind to an "s" shape.  The third picture is one I found online where someone made a whole new crosswind with the "s" pattern.  The correct way to do this is to make a new crosswind, however I do not have the tools required to make this piece, so in the meantime the epoxy version will hold up just fine.

Jerseybros

At this point, give all the parts a good cleaning and I went ahead and put on a couple coats of paint.

Jerseybros

Now we can reassemble the reel following the reverse of the steps listed in the first post.

Jerseybros

And viola we have a finished reel.

This will be great in the surf here and on the boat.  Now upgraded to have 3 bearings and fixing the line lay.

mo65

Love that classic hot rod look...bare bones...all business! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Excellent work!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Lots of talent on this site.  Good job.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

STRIPER LOU

FatTuna

Came out amazing. What type of paint did you use?

Jerseybros

Quote from: FatTuna on March 19, 2017, 10:12:45 PM
Came out amazing. What type of paint did you use?

Thank you,

Flat black automotive spray paint.
We shall see how it holds up.