Penn 704 rebuild

Started by Jerseybros, March 19, 2017, 07:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

It looks good. I have a beater 704, I might try and do this. I'm a big 704 fan.

Did you use a drill press to do the drilling?

If you feel inclined, please post back your opinion on how the paint holds up.

handi2

Very nice and not that easy to do.

I have a 706 with 2 one way bearings plus the dog is still in place. I had it built for my grandson. It was mine in the 70's and then my son's in the 80's.

Rick Champagne did the work for me. Its painted in the Florida gators orange and blue with a white side cover. The emblem hole just like you did. We then found a Gators sticker for the side cover.

Ill post a picture soon.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jerseybros

Quote from: handi2 on March 19, 2017, 10:44:51 PM
Very nice and not that easy to do.

I have a 706 with 2 one way bearings plus the dog is still in place. I had it built for my grandson. It was mine in the 70's and then my son's in the 80's.

Rick Champagne did the work for me. Its painted in the Florida gators orange and blue with a white side cover. The emblem hole just like you did. We then found a Gators sticker for the side cover.

Ill post a picture soon.

The needle bearing on the main shaft is an anti-reverse bearing so this one has instant anti-reverse with the dog as a backup.  I wanted to see if anyone would pick up that it was in there.

What locations are your bearings?

I have done one other 704, and a 712.  These are pretty simple and great reels that have been used day in and day out for years, and will continue to do so.

I used a hand drill, dremel and a hand file to do the rotor cup and spool.  Takes a little longer and a little more effort but you don't need fancy machinists tools to do this!!

ReelFishingProblems

I've been polishing an old beat up 704z. I was a little afraid to take a drill to the rotor and spool, but now because of your post I think I'll go for it

Nick

TongassFisher

Nice work, that turned out most excellent!

Bill B

JB...outstanding work....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Rothmar2

Excellent work. Can really appreciate the time, effort, and skill required to do this.

Jerseybros

So a little update on this.  I got bored so I'm now up to 8 bearings in this thing.  Three on the main shaft(one instant anti reverse), two on the pinion shaft, two in the knob, and one on the line roller.

Big exterior changes are the new Eva knob and the Mitchell line roller!

Now that the new line roller is on there I was able to spool up and fine tune the line lay.  This thing casts a country mile and the braid flies off the spool with the modifications to the crosswind!

All set for the spring bass run!

JRD

Nice!  I'm just getting the hot rod spinner bug.  How much pressure is on the cross wind and how will the epoxy hold up?

Jerseybros

Have had this out on the boat a couple times and at the surf a few as well.  Put it through the ringer yesterday after work with a couple dozen blues, and a thorough sand and salt water dosing.

So far the crosswind is holding up, I do plan to make a real one at some point.  And the anti reverse bearing had no problem stopping these chopper blues without the dog engaged.  I expect it to eat into the main gear shaft eventually but this is half a trial run to see how long its gonna last with macgyver'd parts.

Self wrapped rod, hotrodded reel, homemade plug + screaming drag = priceless!!

Yogi_fish808

Hell yeah! Always loved the tough matte black look and it works well with this Penn Staal. One thing with those early greenie spools is i've read they're pot metal and can crack when drilled out like that. This topic was discussed on the Stipersonline forum. An aluminum one from a Z series might be the answer. The AR bearing mod is sick!

Aloha