Lews Speed Spin - 1 Schematic Requested

Started by Marlinmate, March 20, 2017, 12:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

foakes

Found a new reel in a box along with schematics, if you still need them.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Marlinmate

I have found a schematic....and actually found a guy in Iowa who has/had some NOS parts for these Lews Spinners.   Some drag parts are on order.

Can you tell me if there is a "clicker" on the reel?  Either when the drag is pulling out or when reeling?

The schematic shows part #35 - Drag Click Spring.....but i can't figure out what is supposed to click??    Ahhh....#35 in your schematic does NOT look like what is in my reel.   :-[     

foakes

Right, in my reel, which is the Gold Spin Model -- it has a different drag click spring then the schematic also.

The main gear and bearing is missing from mine -- so the spring was loose -- but looking at how it fits with the pin -- it appears that the click spring just clicks as one rotates the drag knob.  That is pretty typical on a rear drag Asian spinner from Shimano, Ryobi, or similar.

I will see if any of my Shimano main gears work in this new reel that someone robbed the bearing and gear from.

Glad you got it worked out...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

On the reel schematic shown #35 is supposed to ride on #46, the drag ratchet teeth and click when line is being run out against the drag. Make sure #35 isn't broken or bent. They can be tricky to align. I've never worked on a Lew's and I can't tell for sure if the anti-reverse is silent or click type from the shape of #31. It looks like it may be silent and activated only on the reverse wind. Sorry, not sure, though.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Marlinmate

I'm almost positive that my click spring is broken....and doesn't extend back to the drag ratchet.    These things are like "needles in a haystack".   Doubt I'll find a new drag click spring anywhere.

Midway Tommy

Check out your local hardware, hobby or building supply store and see if they have some thin small SS or brass sheets and make one. If you have the main body with the hole and bend the rest should be fairly straight forward. Take your existing piece with you to find the right gauge metal. It isn't difficult, I have handcrafted many obsolete parts over the years. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Marlinmate

I think it should be something like this.    Am i thinking along the correct lines (get it?)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Marlinmate on March 22, 2017, 08:57:02 PM
I think it should be something like this.    Am i thinking along the correct lines (get it?)

Yes, but don't cut it all the way to a point. The proper length is to the rear of the drag gear teeth. It should be about 1/16"+ but not quite 1/8" tall at the back end. It should also lay on that raised portion with the O in the center.

After looking at the reel the A/R should click when the A/R button is pushed forward. It should be silent and no A/R with the button back.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Marlinmate

Here's my new home brewed clicker.   Works great so far.

Midway Tommy

Tommy D (ORCA), NE