Penn 720z Debacle

Started by mo65, March 20, 2017, 02:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Ardent Reel Butter grease is a great grease. It is expensive and hard to find in a large container.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mo65

Quote from: handi2 on March 29, 2017, 10:28:10 PM
Ardent Reel Butter grease is a great grease. It is expensive and hard to find in a large container.

I agree. I'm not sure how it performs in saltwater since I'm a freshwater guy. I fished the 720 yesterday...it performed great...smooth as silk. This big crappie even ripped off a little drag, it was a hoot!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Wow, Mo! Nice looking crappie!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

It seems my 720z debacle continues...the darn crosswind block busted in two while fishing Sunday. Maybe this piece could have been cracked by whatever damaged the gear earlier, but I don't remember seeing any damage. There's even a closeup pic of it in post #12 on this thread. My question is...is this piece something that receives any heavy stress? Could I epoxy that block back together...or would that be a waste of time?  ???

Rancanfish

I like working on reels occasionally but that's a bummer when you redo it 4 times.

Someday it will be right.  Good looking little reel.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Midway Tommy

Plastic and nylon parts get old and brittle after time. Petro based lube adds stress to them, too. A similar scenario happens on the Cardinal 6 & 7. They have a plastic or sometimes nylon, fitting that attaches the oscillation arm to the main shaft. They get old, tired and weak just like us fogies. If yours was old the damage (weakening) had probably already been done. You should get a lot of years out of a new replacement. Isn't someone making aftermarket aluminum ones, now? Mizmo might know.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Mike --

Try and catch Mo before she ships your order (probably too late, she is very swift).

Tommy is right -- Mo mentioned that someone was making aftermarket aluminum crosswind blocks for the 720.

If she doesn't have them yet -- I have you covered.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 15, 2017, 08:16:38 PM
Isn't someone making aftermarket aluminum ones, now? Mizmo might know.   
Quote from: foakes on August 15, 2017, 08:25:38 PM
If she doesn't have them yet -- I have you covered.

Thanks fellas, I remembered that same conversation where Mo mentioned the aluminum blocks, so I had checked earlier and she does have some in stock. I'll be installing the new aluminum block, but was just curious to see if I could repair the old plastic one. I'll let ya know how it goes. 8)

George6308

I believe that nylon block was designed to break to save stress on the gear train.
I have one of Mo's aluminum blocks in my spare parts stash. Its very well made.

Alto Mare

A brass main gear would have been nice in these...still nice little reel though..
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George6308

I believe at the time Penn designed the early Spinfisher reels (great greenie era) Penn was using aluminum gears it all of it's reels. I have read reports that the later 700's used aluminum to save weight. These gears carried over into early 704's. I would prefer a bronze gear in lieu of brass.

Alto Mare

Quote from: George6308 on August 15, 2017, 11:24:41 PM
I believe at the time Penn designed the early Spinfisher reels (great greenie era) Penn was using aluminum gears it all of it's reels. I have read reports that the later 700's used aluminum to save weight. These gears carried over into early 704's. I would prefer a bronze gear in lieu of brass.
Yep, bronze would definitely be a better choice. Brass is still better than aluminum.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: George6308 on August 15, 2017, 11:04:49 PM
I believe that nylon block was designed to break to save stress on the gear train.

I like that notion George. I can tell everyone it broke due to all the lunker fish I catch that were straining the gears! :D

On a serious note, there's not much sense in trying to epoxy that busted block. After cleaning off the grease, I can see there's just not enough surface area to hold epoxy. That block is a labyrinth of holes and channels. 8)

George6308

Bottom line both the 720 & 722 are great usable reels. I have even used my 722 in back bay salt water.

mo65

Got the new aluminum block from Scott's today, slapped it in there, and we're back in the saddle. Maybe its my imagination...but it seems like the reel cranks a little smoother now. At any rate, she'll be back on the water next time out. 8)