Penn 720z Debacle

Started by mo65, March 20, 2017, 02:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flytrooper

yes  i  made  these   for a friend and some members from one of the groups i was a member on at fb then  mo at  scotts  saw them and asked if i had any more so i sold her some   but i lost my job where i was making them and only have a limited supply of them left

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

flytrooper

people talk about how plastic is good   to have as a crosswind but all my other penn  spinning reel    use aluminum and brass as their crosswind      and if you  set  your drag right  then you should not have a problem damaging the reel  when a four foot black tip shark  hits  the  bait or lure  as one of my friend caught using his 722  with the aluminum crosswind. 
plus  i think the plastic one were molded and i dont know how well the  groove for the pin was made  my aluminum ones  were machined in  maybe  that why they are smoother than the plastic ones.

Alto Mare

Nice job on those flytrooper!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George6308

Very well made part. Thank you making them available to us through Penn Parts.

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on August 25, 2017, 06:43:11 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 24, 2017, 06:01:33 PM
It will eventually become a little more noisy with metal against metal and you'll get a little more noticeable wear on the shaft and main gear. Besides cost, noise is why a lot of the manufacturer's backed away from all metal drive parts. Plus they created a link that would wear or break under stress before extensive damage was done.    

It's been my experience that metal against metal always gets smoother and less noisy with use.(properly lubed of coarse) With this in mind...examine the new yellow grease on that new main gear in the earlier photo. That blackening reminds me of polishing aluminum with Brasso. That very well may be the source of my newfound "smoothness". Who knows? I do agree about the plastic parts used to save major damage. The nylon gear in a levelwind is a prime example...it's saved many a finger.8)

How the heck did you get your big Oscar Myers stuck in a level wind ?

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 28, 2018, 11:43:47 PM
Quote from: mo65 on August 25, 2017, 06:43:11 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 24, 2017, 06:01:33 PM
They created a link that would wear or break under stress before extensive damage was done.   

The nylon gear in a levelwind is a prime example...it's saved many a finger.8)

How the heck did you get your big Oscar Myers stuck in a level wind ?

HA! I didn't say my finger...I said many fingers. My Dad used to say I had hands like a canned ham...Bahahaaaaa!!

On a serious note, that aluminum crosswind block has had a work out...it's probably caught 50-60 crappies the past week...and a few decent bass. The reel is noticeably smoother too, Flytrooper might be right about the machined vs molded.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

flytrooper

i am glad they are working good for you  when i made them originally  my friend doug gave me his reel and i measured the plastic one and made one as close to the plastic one as i could  then i fine tune it and made sure each one i made was as smooth as the first one

PacRat

Does anyone have one of these aluminum crosswind blocks to spare? Please PM me if you do.
Mike

flytrooper

the funny  thing is that   everybody  who i have sold the aluminum block to says the reel  is much smoother now  than before 

Jenx

Mo,

Have you had any problems with your handle hitting the bail arm on your 720z? I don't know if the bail arm on the older blue 720's (what I own) is any different from the 720z that you own, but my handle and bail arm occasionally hit each other. It seems to happen pretty randomly. I might make fifty casts without a problem, and then for no rhyme or reason the handle and bail arm might hit each other a few times before not doing it again for awhile. Although it seems to be happening more frequently of late, and it seems to only happen shortly after the bail is closed.

George6308

Do you have the washer between the reel and the handle? Early 720 & 720Z no difference in parts. Is the bail arm bent?
I have two 720's and two 722's none have this problem.

mo65

Quote from: Jenx on June 02, 2018, 06:32:21 PM
Mo,

Have you had any problems with your handle hitting the bail arm on your 720z?

YES, I had this exact problem. Like George said...add a washer. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Hi Andy —

George and Mike are correct — just need a spacer washer between the crank and crank axle.

Some of the 720, 722, and all of the Z's had a thick chrome cover cap spacer — it protected the the crank axle somewhat from intrusion, plus gave the reel a more finished appearance.

Look around your bench, or box it came in — you might have it, and not know it.

If you need one for a better look and function, just let me know, and I will send one out at N/C.

From here, your crank, bail, and bail lever arm all look straight and not bent.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jenx

Thanks for the replies. It looks like a missing spacer is the problem.

Foakes, I'm not putting it past myself that could have lost a piece, but I don't recognize that part, and I'm pretty sure it never came with it. I will send you a PM.

Thanks again.

PS: I have been happy with this reel so far. I have made hundreds of casts with it, and I have only had two wind knots with my braid. It's true that it's not as braid friendly as modern reels, but it's nowhere near as bad as some of the reports claimed it would be. It definitely seems to help to have it intentionally underspooled. I found this out on accident after a seal stole a bunch of my line. I haven't had a wind knot since.