Penn 720z Debacle

Started by mo65, March 20, 2017, 02:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

The past few project reels I've bought I took a "spend a little more...get less trouble" approach. I'm not sure that's working out for me. Like my brother said..."you pay $50 for a $20 reel"...HA HA!! :D My latest purchase is a perfect example. I bought a 720z on the big site that was advertised as serviced and ready to fish. Upon arrival I opened it up and it looked fresh inside...new Penn blue grease everywhere. I started to spool 'er up and noticed a clunk in the handle...felt like a bad gear tooth. wiped some of that new grease off the main and found a nice crack! Hmm...:-\...contacted seller and he is sending a new gear...so I guess I get to work on this one after all! ::)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Unfortunately, Mike --

With how clean the interior of that reel is, and the amount of new Penn Blue -- and the fact that he had a spare main gear -- leads me to the fact that either he was the culprit trying to pass off a crippled reel -- or someone passed it off to him -- and he did not go any further except to turn it -- hoping that the new buyer would not be as knowledgeable as you -- or figured they did it after fishing it for awhile.

If it was all black and greasy inside, and needing servicing -- the crack could be missed -- but that is not the case.

No way to miss that crack -- I wonder what caused a crack like that?

I think the fortunate thing in all of this, is -- that he was able to put his hands on a gear, and willing to ship it to you.

Thanks for sharing...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

That's 2 ive seen broken like that..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mo65

Quote from: foakes on March 20, 2017, 02:48:01 PM
I wonder what caused a crack like that?

That's the same thing I was wondering. I wasn't ever expecting to see a busted main gear on a little reel like this, but who knows, with it being so old. After I disassembled the reel...the plot thickened! It also has a broken click tongue, and a cracked drag knob! I already fixed the cracked knob with a little super glue and pressure. I'm ordering the click tongue, a pinion bearing lock screw, dog spring, and a drag kit from Scott's, it only comes to about $10-$15, and the reel will be dead on right when I get done. 8)

Midway Tommy

Wow, Mike, that's unfortunate! I've worked on a lot of reels over the years and have never come across a cracked steel main gear. The only broken main gears I have found were pot metal variations and they usually consist of just broken teeth. Exposure to ammonia, though, can, and will eventually cause weakness and cracking in yellow metals, even if they have some type of plating. I wonder if the gear portion cold shrank and the shaft heat expanded to instigate it? Must have been a weak spot in the disc right there.   :o  Plastic parts and drag knobs, especially the types of plastic used in the old Penn spinners have a tendency to crack with age and UV exposure. Seems like some types of plastic are worse than others.   :(  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 20, 2017, 06:32:10 PM
The only broken main gears I have found were pot metal variations and they usually consist of just broken teeth.  

Same here Tommy. This gear appears to be aluminum...with a brass ratchet...and a steel post. The construction of this reel is actually very heavy considering it's intended use...it is robust for an ultralight.

handyandy

almost makes me wonder if the gear was dropped at some point. Have a hard time believing normal use caused a crack like that.

mizmo67

I've actually never seen one cracked like that...usually it's the teeth.

Someone else said that's the 2nd one they've seen?

Flaw in the metal during manufacture, maybe?

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Alto Mare

First time for me, usually teeth give up first :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Yogi_fish808

Glad to hear the seller was willing to set things right. Penn's from that era are definitely over-built in the best way and replacement parts aren't too hard to come by. Once you have all the parts in order it'll be  a solid little  reel. I can relate with a 430ss project reel I brought back from the scrap bucket. Add a greased carbontex drag washer and you'll be set.

Aloha,
Kyle

oc1

maybe the main gear shaft and bushings were frozen in the frame and the guy tied to pry it out by slipping a screw driver under the gear
-steve

mo65

I'm not sure what happened either...but I doubt if it was damaged in shipping. The seller had it wrapped in a ton of bubblewrap. It was wrapped better than I would have done...and I over wrap reels myself. I'm currently at my brother's place fishing...the fish are handing us our butts...HA!  :D

P.S.  My Flathead Special narrowed 250 fished great today. The double dogs clacking sounded really cool! 8)

mo65

!!NEWSFLASH!!

The new gear from the seller arrived while I was in Parkersburg wetting a line. I slapped it in place today and the reel feels really good. I experimented by using Ardent Reel Butter on the gear teeth instead of Penn blue. It's a thinner feeling grease that works very well on freshwater baitcasters so I figured it might be a good choice for these small spinning reels too. I like the feel so I believe I'll go ahead and button this kid up and spool some line on. 8)

mo65

I got the reel spooled up today and mounted on the rod. It's bronze color matches the rod wraps and accents perfectly. With a 10lb. fluoro leader/12lb. Nanofil she's a little overdressed for crappie but just right for trout and bass. I've found my crappie catch rates don't increase with lighter line anyway...especially in our usually stained spring waters. 8)

foakes

Nice setup, Mike --

And more importantly -- no weak issues -- ready to go...it is right.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.