Penn 720z Debacle

Started by mo65, March 20, 2017, 02:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

It will be in Monday's mail, Andy.  N/C.

Got your address, thanks!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Hey folks,
   I was thumbing through some video clips from this summer and I noticed I had a lot of catches on the 720z. I picked out a few good ones and made a short video of the ol' Bronze Bomber in action! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JoseCuervo

I enjoyed the video, thanks for that!

mo65

Dominick

Nice job on that video.  High quality.  What kind of equipment did you use?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Jenx

I just saw your video. Nice work.

A new job cut my fishing season short last year, but I managed to still give my 720 a good surf fishing trial from spring until mid summer.

I wanted to see how she held up to the surf abuse, so I started keeping track of everything I caught with her.

Final tally was:

Surfperch: 107, Halibut: 1, YF Croaker: 28, Corbina: 1, Halfmoon: 1, Wrasse: 2, Calico bass: 1, Stingray: 1, Kelp fish: 1, barracuda: 1

The biggest fish were in the two pound range, and all were caught using 20lb braid with an 8lb mono leader.

A couple of observations:

Casting braid from an elevated location with this reel, the jetty or a pier for example, can be a definite wind-knot nightmare. However, casting braid while standing on the shore was not a problem for me.

I was very pleased with how this reel held up. I usually stand in the surf about mid thigh, and my gear gets regularly splashed by all the waves hitting me. About half way through the season I decided to break down my reel for cleaning after it went for an accidental swim, and I was pleased with how well the insides looked despite the abuse I put it through. The one week spot was the bail spring which showed the most signs of corrosion.

Overall I was very happy with this reel, and while my modern reels will still be used for most of my fishing, the 720 is now my go to reel for any fishing session that I know will involve me getting wet. The ease of maintenance is hard to beat.

mo65

I'm still fishing this reel very hard. It's not the stress of the fish being caught...it's the constant casting from daylight 'til dark. This time the bail spring busted, not surprising, considering the constant banging. I guess I should be using a more modern design with a bail that can be closed manually, but this little reel just feels great in hand casting jigs. The new spring is on order from Mystic...enjoy the R&R little guy...because you're going right back into combat! 8)

El Pescador

Quote from: mo65 on April 19, 2019, 04:53:42 PM
   This time the bail spring busted...   
...the new spring is on order from Mystic...

MO-meister!

Busted bail spring!   Great news, that means you are fishing!!!

I've replaced the bail spring on my Mitchel 308   - FIVE TIMES!!!   I've owned that reel since age 14 - and use it every summer in the high Sierra.

I have 10 extra springs ready for replacement, when needed!!!!  Recommend you order more.

Love your video's!!!  Great work.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Nice video Mike, do you fish mollyducca all the time, thanks again cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

Quote from: Donnyboat on April 19, 2019, 10:23:20 PM
Nice video Mike, do you fish mollyducca all the time, thanks again cheers Don.

You got me Don...I had to google "mollyducca"...it's an Aussie slang term for left handed. They spelled it mollydooker. Around here, a right handed person reels a spinner with their left hand. Lots of mollydookers in this neck of the woods...HA!!! Glad you liked the vid, and cheers back atcha!

Quote from: Dominick on October 22, 2018, 05:08:55 PM
Nice job on that video.  High quality.  What kind of equipment did you use?  Dominick

I use the same Olympus TG-3 that I photograph reels with. It makes great video...does better in low light than a GoPro.

Quote from: El Pescador on April 19, 2019, 06:22:25 PM
Love your videos!!!  Great work.

Thanks Wayne! I ordered an extra spring, as I just can't seem to retire that 720.

mo65

New bail spring installed...dab of fresh grease added to main...and a brand spankin' new handle knob. The color match is perfect! 8)

Puddle Jumper

Mo ,
Just curious ,how do you like the new knob, I've been thinking about one of those on my little 430ss..
:)
PJ

mo65

Quote from: Puddle Jumper on May 13, 2019, 10:10:21 PM
Mo ,
  Just curious, how do you like the new knob, I've been thinking about one of those on my little 430ss.

Those knobs rock...perfect size for the 720z or 430ss. 8)

Puddle Jumper

Thank you Sir,
I like the looks of them but wasn't sure if they would feel to big,,,
tight lines my friend..
;)
PJ

mo65

Quote from: Puddle Jumper on May 14, 2019, 11:13:09 AM
I like the looks of them but wasn't sure if they would feel to big,,,

That picture I posted kind of makes it look big...it's the angle I guess. Here's the same handle on a Mitch 408. It's bigger than stock, but that's the whole point, more to get a hold on.