Jigmaster failure?

Started by TongassFisher, March 20, 2017, 07:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: TongassFisher on March 21, 2017, 12:56:59 AM
So after reading your reply, it sounds like the stock 4 screw cross braces might not be up to fishing heavy drag settings that a modded 500 with all the upgrades can put out?

Well, not that it won't work, but I think most folks would agree it's on the ceiling of it's capability. For the heavy lifting an aluminum frame would be best. Also your interest in the 250 is a good thing...the #5-60 gear's ratio of 3:1 is great for lifting. True it's a smaller gear...less drag surface area...but with a 5 stack it will produce 15-18lbs. of smooth drag. Also true no stainless version I know of...but Penn's steel versions are easy to find. Their moly coated version is my favorite.
   Here's a pic of my 259/99 Live Bait Caster with that gear...it produced 19lbs. max drag.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Keta

Quote from: TongassFisher on March 21, 2017, 12:54:01 AM
Lee, can you elaborate more on the 250 build? I was under the impression that the 250 has smaller gearing, smaller drag washers, and no stainless gear options? Actually I thought I read somewhere that a steel main is a factory option but hard to find? I like the idea of a hot rod 250!
Trevor

Steel but not SS 13-140 and 5-60 gears are around, someone here might have a spare set.  The 5-60 main gear is smaller than the 5-500 main gear of the Jigmaster. The 250 is 3:1 the 500 is 4:1 so you have more torque with the 250.  The 250 side plates fit 500/501 frames.  I have a 250N with a Tib 501 frame, SS grear sleve,  SS AR dog, 5+1 drag set and Keta Krank.  I can convert it to a 99 width in a minute by taking 500 side plate off the 99 width frame and putting the 250 side plate on.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Swami805

That Cortez Conversion jigmaster kit with the frame and side plates should fit the bill and it comes in 3 widths. I have the 99 size with all the upgrades,couldn't be happier. A lot of ways to skin that cat.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RowdyW

The Cortez Classic kit comes with a frame & side plates. The regular Cortez Jig kit is with side plates only. Some of the hardware is included in both kits.        Rudy

Maxed Out

I love my Cortez jigmaster.

Sorry, I have too many to fit in a pic.  ;D  ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

TongassFisher

Mo65 your picture is tempting me! I have not received the 250 yet so maybe I'll get lucky and it will have a steel main. Never heard of a moly coated gear, do you have a link so I can learn more?

Does the 500 and 250 take the same bridge and sleeve? If so I could run a full SS setup with the 250 steel factory gear, that would be tanked?

I guess another option too would be to run the Cortez 500 plates with a full SS 500 setup on the 250 and then run a Keta Krank on the long setting to try and make up some of the lost power from the 500s 4:1s.

I appreciate you responding, I'm also enjoying the pics,

Trevor

Quote from: mo65 on March 21, 2017, 01:16:28 AM
Quote from: TongassFisher on March 21, 2017, 12:56:59 AM
So after reading your reply, it sounds like the stock 4 screw cross braces might not be up to fishing heavy drag settings that a modded 500 with all the upgrades can put out?

Well, not that it won't work, but I think most folks would agree it's on the ceiling of it's capability. For the heavy lifting an aluminum frame would be best. Also your interest in the 250 is a good thing...the #5-60 gear's ratio of 3:1 is great for lifting. True it's a smaller gear...less drag surface area...but with a 5 stack it will produce 15-18lbs. of smooth drag. Also true no stainless version I know of...but Penn's steel versions are easy to find. Their moly coated version is my favorite.
  Here's a pic of my 259/99 Live Bait Caster with that gear...it produced 19lbs. max drag.

mo65

Quote from: TongassFisher on March 21, 2017, 03:29:45 AM
Never heard of a moly coated gear, do you have a link so I can learn more?

Sal turned me on to the moly coated gears after I sanded through the coating on one...HA! Penn made several steel #5-60 gears through the years. Some appear to be bare steel, some are chromium plated, and some have the moly coating. It's a satin grey coating...resists rust and corrosion great...I don't thing I've ever seen one with finish damage. If your Surfmaster is an older model chances are it will have a steel main gear.

Does the 500 and 250 take the same bridge and sleeve?

The 500 and 250 take completely different bridges...but sleeve is the same for both. In order to have a double dog bridge on the 250 you'd have to fashion your own...something like I did on my narrowed 250:         http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19281.0

I guess another option too would be to run the Cortez 500 plates with a full SS 500 setup on the 250 and then run a Keta Krank on the long setting to try and make up some of the lost power from the 500s 4:1s.

I think if you were to invest in Cortez plates you'd want to use a Cortez or Tiburon frame also. The stock 250 framework would defeat the strength of the aluminum plates. Your hotrod is only as strong as it's weakest link. Aluminum plates and frame are a full on "tank" build, where stock posts and stand will only suffice with a moderate build. Then there are a few more levels in between. The choice of bits and pieces determine where you'll end up power wise.

Here's a pic of the moly coated gear...this one is going in a Surfmaster 150 I'm working up. It will be one of those "moderate" powered upgrades...using a 4-stack drag setup...just about all the heat I like applying to stock posts and stand. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rancanfish

Whichever way you decide to go,  I'm sitting on a supply of steel gears for Squidder or Jjigmaster.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

TongassFisher

Quote from: Rancanfish on March 22, 2017, 01:33:28 AM
Whichever way you decide to go,  I'm sitting on a supply of steel gears for Squidder or Jjigmaster.

Squidder takes the same gear as a 250 correct? I'd happily buy 2 of them from you. One for this 250 and one for a Long Beach 60? Wait those both take the 5-60 correct?

Trevor

Rancanfish

I'll leave it up to you to verify which you need, but let me know by pm and we'll work something out.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

Quote from: TongassFisher on March 22, 2017, 02:07:01 AM
Squidder takes the same gear as a 250 correct? I'd happily buy 2 of them from you. One for this 250 and one for a Long Beach 60? Wait those both take the 5-60 correct?
Trevor

The Squidder uses the 5-60 main gear too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain