Hendryx and Pflueger

Started by Bill B, March 20, 2017, 11:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

A guy at work hands me these two reels says he will never use them and if I would take them....well couldnt leave these two old timers homeless  ::).....A Hendryx patented March 21, 1876 (?) with an ivory handle and a Pflueger Temco Free Spool/Surf Casting....both have seen better days, but I will take care of them... ;)  Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

Deeet Bill! Make sure we see the after!!

Dominick

Wow Bill.  That is being lucky.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Cool deal.

There are likely some folks on ORCA (Bryan in HI cones to mind), or maybe Fred here? that could help with thd musding Pflueger headplate bearing/cap.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

jason_purdy

Sweet! Can't wait to see how the clean up... that's a good friend.

-Jason

Bill B

On the Pflueger, what do you think the side plates are made of?  Chromed brass? German Silver?  Hate to start polishing and ruin the pieces......Bill

Tightlines667

Quote from: TARFU on March 21, 2017, 03:20:01 PM
On the Pflueger, what do you think the side plates are made of?  Chromed brass? German Silver?  Hate to start polishing and ruin the pieces......Bill

They are likely chrome-plated bronze.  Light cleaning is in order, since the plating was not as robyst in tbise days, and it will flake off relatively easily.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

The big reel is more than likely plated German silver. German silver is an excellent base for plating. The small raised pillar reel is probably plated brass. I doubt if bronze was used on either of these reels.

Bill B

Thanks guys, maybe just a light polishing on a buffing wheel and leave with some patina is in order....Bill