Line for Penn 501

Started by FatTuna, March 21, 2017, 04:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

What type of line are you guys spooling up your 501s with? Anyone experience any issues with braid on these?

Also, I tried installing a 500 clamp kit and the studs wouldn't fit..... Do In need to grind them down?

coastal_dan

I had 50 lb Daiwa Line counter on both of my 501's and they worked out fantastic.  Both had Penn aluminum spools.  Fished water depths varied from 60 ft to 400 ft.

Not sure about the stud kit, I had Tiburon and Accurate frames on the reels I had.  But for just a bit more description, did they not fit when you dropped them down W/O line on the spool?  Or was the Diameter of the stud different then the hole?  If it was the first issue, you can just undo the front screws, loosen the back and rotate the reel foot down until you have room to clear the spool.

Easily my favorite Penn reel, I'm hoping the 25N is as comfortable to fish.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Gfish

I changed up from a 500 Jm. To a 501 size, with a tiburon frame and spool kit. Got 65lb. P-pro spectra, never any problems, even casts pretty well using a short mono leader, with 2+ oz.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bryan Young

I use 25#, 30#, and 40# mono and 50#, 65# and 80# braid without any issues.  All on Penn Aluminum spools.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mike1010

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 21, 2017, 05:20:01 PM
I use 25#, 30#, and 40# mono and 50#, 65# and 80# braid without any issues.  All on Penn Aluminum spools.

Similar for me.

STRIPER LOU

I believe the head end of the screws need to be flatted on the sides because of the narrow width of the reel. Just grind off enough until the screws drop into the base from the inside of the foot and you should be good to go or check your parts box, you may have some that are already flatted!

I like 50lb braid.

Best,  ..  Lou

borchcl

I'm running 50# Power Pro Depth Raider, Penn spool. Works quite well for bottom fishing for snapper and grouper.
Regards, Charlie

FatTuna

These studs have round heads. It definitely needs to be flat on one side to fit. I'll try grinding it flat. Thanks Lou.

I think I'm going to try some 65lb J braid on this reel. I ordered some 20lb for one of my spinning reels and really like it. It reminds me of PowerPro superslick but it's cheaper. 

Bill B

The flat sided studs are similiar to the studs found on the 49 Super Mariner, Deep Sea, and 349 master Mariner....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Whit

Fat Tuna:

For mono, I would not go less than 20 lb.  The reason is that the tolerance between the spool lip and the inner ring is such that anything thinner can (and does!) get trapped behind the spool causing the reel to bind up and leading to spectacular outcomes if, say, a tuna is on the end of your line.

Having a Tiburon or Accurate frame helps with this a bit, as does the old clear fingernail polish trick in which you build up the lip of the spool gradually with clear fingernail polish.

Another thing that may help is to not overload the spool with line such that it fluffs sideways into the dreaded gap.  I'd go no higher than 1/8" below the spool rim, less might be even better.

How this translates into braid depends on the diameter of the braid I guess.  I'm not a braid guy except on fly reels (backing) and internationals, so YMMV.

Whit

FatTuna

Yeah I can see where line could get pulled in between the spool and plate. I just spooled it up with 300M of the 65lb J braid.

I'm really liking this braid. I can't believe how cheap it is considering it's 8 strand and super limp.

Bryan Young

I just put another one of Cortez Conversions 501 kit and the tolerances are so spot on, you could spool the reel with 10# braid and I think it would be difficult to get that line in between the spool and the side plate.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D