let's make sure everyone feels welcomed.

Started by alantani, May 02, 2011, 02:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

seems kind of funny that i would say this, huh!  there is no bullying here.  there is no profanity.  no one has ever called anyone an idiot. and yet, some people still feel akward posting things.  usually they're just starting out and need to ask a question that we've answered a dozen times.  they might have done an unsuccessful search already because the search function on this board does not work very well.  there are alot of problems that will crop up, and most of us know how to fix them, yet someone just starting out may come across these problems and see them as insurmountable. the reason that i know this is because these questions are often still directed to me in a pm or e-mail.  and i still answer every one.  not always right away, but i do answer them. 

but everyone should feel comfortable posting questions here, right?  well, apparently some people don't.  something funny has happened.  we appear to have attracted some serious talent.  that's fine.  but we also have developed a sense of camaraderie, and that makes some new people hang back.  we all know what it's like.  you're the new guy, maybe at work, maybe a new club of some sort.  a bunch of guys are standing in a group, all laughing and having a good time.  unfriendly?  definitely not!  and if a new guy approaches, is he welcomed?  absolutely, yes!  but for many, a group like that is still difficult to approach. 

so what to do?  well, here's my suggestion.  when someone posts a question, let's all make an effort to concentrate and stay focused on the new guy and the question that he has.  keep the side banter to a minimum and let's not get sidetracked.  if you think of a side issue, consider a separate post.  very few threads on any board stay focused on the original question once it get's past a half dozen responses.  to me, it's important that a guy can come in here and feel like he can get help he needs.  we were all "the new guy" at some point in our lives, and we've all had to turn to one person or another for help before.  i hope this will work for everybody!  rob, thank you.  and to everyone else, got a question?  post it on whatever board is close to your topic and you WILL get a response.  even if it's an "i dunno....".  we are all here to help.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Well said Alan.  And note, we have awesome moderators that have upheld and have deleted postings that do not meet these standards.  We may miss some, so if you feel the response is inappropriate, PM me and I'll surely do something about it.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

we are all here to kokua( help) fellow fishermen. so alan's rule's are perfect.  swearing, bashing, no talking kukai  ;) are inappropiate. just remember the 12 yr old rule. so show our fellow member's some aloha. so komo mai (welcome) everybody.

Roger

I really can't add to what has already been said, this is one fantastic site where people can come and learn about reel service and repair. Alan set the standards from the very beginning and held onto those standards. What ever we can do to help new members is what we need to do. Thanks Alan
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

This is one great site that Alan especially, and all the members have made so good. There is so much talent and experience here and the new members are adding to it without question. You never know whether it's someone with a professional hobby (like Alan) or the experienced reel shop owners or the oldest or newest member is going to have a trick or little tidbit that makes the task/process of maintaining reels easier. That's why we're here, so let's enjoy the special bond we all have.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

This is the only site I feel comfortable in my inabilities knowing that one or many of you guys will give me a hand without passing judgement.  We all gotta start somewhere with this technical stuff... what better place than right here?!  I also, enjoy helping other fisher people with my new found abilities, so it's a perfect match.  I tried Bloodydecks and Stripersonline, but those are some tough crowds.  If I'm not certain about something I won't post it anywhere near those sites, which is why I'm here in the first place... to learn not brag.  If I'm certain about something... I'm not learning, so I'm here for the duration!  I talk about this site so much that when I have "company" over, and go to the balcony for a smoke they ask, "Are you going on Alan Tani?" (no kidding- it happened as recent as yesterday)  I got a laugh out of it! I love this place,  have met some pretty awesome people on here, and become a more all around better fisherman.  Welcome aboard new comers!
Dom

Alto Mare

When I found this site, I knew that I had found a place to share some good ideas and, more importantly, to learn from some rather crafty, knowledgable folks! I felt welcomed from day one and I appreciated the fact that I could ask all my reel questions and they would be considered and answered in a professional, respectful manner! I think it's important that we extend the same courtesy to the newer members as they find their way around this terrific site!
Happy Fishing to All! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

No one should feel their input is not important.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Brendan

I joined Bloody Decks in 2004 and have Zero posts on that site. It's still a little intimidating here with the talent pool of people who haunt this site, That being said I respect the talent and all are very helpful.
Thanks all, Brendan.

kamuwela

brendon im on bloody decks too. thats exactly what alan doesn't want this site to turn into. so alas no swearing no bashing etc. welcome aboard and dont feel intimidated, we all started out by stumbling on this great site after fumbling on a reel or two.

alantani

thanks, guys.  you know, bloody decks is actually not the website i had in mind when i wrote this.  it was another.  we'll call it "brand x."   post anything on brandx.com and "the group" immediately chimes in.  and i mean on every post.  even if they know nothing about the topic.  part of it is hijacking.  most of it reflects the strong friendships that have developed over the years.  it can leave other people feeling left out.  THAT is what i want to avoid. 

Visero

I've only been a member for a month or so and I have to say everyone including Alan (LOL) has been extremely helpful and friendly.  I've learned a ton on here and have had a great time modifying my reels.

I've installed drags in all my large reels, added 2 jvarance frames to my 2 133h reals (shimmed the bearing in one), installed one of Alan's handles on my 144HLW, and ordered and installed the Trind DX parts on my TOR20.

Now it's time to do some fishin!

alantani

yup, i've got to get out an do some fishing myself.  gotta whittle down the backlog first!

rodent

Very new to the website, just a couple of weeks an these guys have been truly helpful.  they have made me feel very welcome, sharing their knowledge and a lot more helpful their experience.  This the first and last site that I log onto to check what is going, I am learning all the time, thanks guys mahalo and aloha.