assemble President Pflueger spinning reel, 6940

Started by glasseyes, March 22, 2017, 12:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glasseyes

New to the forum and found this place trying to research on my reel when I took it apart and now cant assemble . I took pinion gear and bearings and clutch out, was just going to lube and clean there was a slight hangup when reeling . So took all that off together and when I replaced it the bearing sleeve will not set flush inside the body and cannot screw the plate back on flush.
I know i've done something wrong but just cant get it. I have taken the parts out over and over and just dont see what I'm doing wrong. It only sticks up a fraction of an inch but should not. I have another brand new reel like it but afraid to take it apart or same thing might happen LOL. really am hoping an expert here can give me advice. PLEASE HELP

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

exp2000

glasseyes

sorry no pictures, I did see a video on youtube on maint. repair of a president which not my model it has same parts and he just put the parts on shaft and slid pinion gear and bearings and clutch all at same time in and that was it. Im at work now so cant look but I may take side plate back off to see if something not seated farther down . still driving me nuts

foakes

Hi GE, and Welcome --

Should just slide back in and the bearing should be flush to allow the bearing retainer cover to be screwed in place.

Sounds like you might take off the side-plate -- and as you reinsert the parts, pinion, bearing, clutch, etc. in place -- slightly lift up on the main gear so the pinion seats in a mesh position with the main -- or turn the handle slightly as you reinsert, so the bearing seats along with the pinion.

Sideplate needs to come off anyway, so you can reattach the spool shaft to the crosswind block, I believe?

Sometimes, just jiggling as everything goes back in place will help to seat properly.

Pics always help to diagnose an issue a little quicker.

If you really get stuck -- just put the reel parts in a bag, and I or someone else will assemble the reel properly and give everyone a report on the site with pics.  This way it would help many more people.

There would be no charge except postage -- but I think you will solve it soon just by observation and testing.

Glad to help if you need it.

It is not a big deal -- just part of our learning curve for all of us.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

glasseyes

Thanks foakes, I appreciate the help. I will go through that tonight when off work and report back, thanks again

Midway Tommy

If all else fails grab your camera, disassemble your other reel and take photos as you disassemble it to see if you've done something wrong and then put both back together the way your good reel is now. Taking photos along the way for new style reel dis-assemblies is a life saver. I never break open an unfamiliar reel without my camera by my side.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

glasseyes

I hope Mr. Foakes has better luck putting that reel back together than I did LOL, I have never been more frustrated in my life to the point that I will probably not buy another . I have mostly Shimano , dont know if they are better or not but I have taken apart and worked on them.

Bill B

GE, when I get stuck during reassembly, I think of the old adage of "100 monkeys in a room with typewriters, sooner or later you will get a novel".  Sometimes it takes putting it away for a couple days, and going back to it.....Just remember, this is SUPPOSED to be fun....but not always  :D   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Hi Tom --

Drove down to the mail a few minutes ago --

Picked up the President --

Got lucky -- just the nylon bearing spacer that surrounds the outer pinion bearing was on the wrong side of the bearing.  The schematic is not real clear in this regard -- likely because there are two bearings close together.

Reassembled, checked all functions -- all AOK -- you did a really nice job on the servicing -- works perfect.

Will send it back tomorrow.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Check the tutorial for a Penn Battle or Fierce in the same size. They are almost the same the reel. The gears and assembly are the same.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

bhale1

Way to go Fred! Probably second nature to you by now, but I could see myself in the same position as Tom,  and now because of the advice learned here, always have my camera and a notepad ready....Even if it seems like a simple project.....
Brett

foakes

On the way --

Priority USPS W/tracking -- ETA Friday, 4/7.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

glasseyes

thanks in advance, really want to find out why I had so much trouble, Im sure it was my own ignorance about the reel but drives me nuts !

handi2

Here is a picture of the pinion gear and its bearings assembly for that reel. In the Penn reels the round "cup" for the top bearing is aluminum.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL