Alans gear sleeve hole to high for pin on stock bridge

Started by mikeysm, September 02, 2018, 02:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I chucked the tip of the bridge in the drill chuck. Then as it turned I square off the top and bottom and narrowed the shaft until it fit.

Mike

Reel 224

Great! So I would be able to put it in my lathe and with care not to get caught up in the bridge plate I would be able to cut the grove wider., sounds like a winner.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RowdyW

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mikeysm

The newer bridges are rounded and the older ones are squared off. The old one was probably done on a manual lathe and the newer one on a cnc lathe.

Mike

Alto Mare

Quote from: mikeysm on September 08, 2018, 08:39:27 PM
The newer bridges are rounded and the older ones are squared off. The old one was probably done on a manual lathe and the newer one on a cnc lathe.

Mike
I did notice the rounded section earlier and it makes sense to me.

I don't think it was done on a manual lathe, I'm sure they dish out thousands at a time.

That section should be squared and not rounded. Maybe it is just one batch that was cut while the bit was on its last leg, or the machinist didn't program it as he should have...just guessing.

If you just knocked down the rounded part and it is working, the pin hole is in the right place.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

I bought four of them in the last few years and they are all the same. The sleeve has no up and down play in it so the pin is riding high.

Mike

mizmo67

Quote from: mikeysm on September 09, 2018, 12:48:33 PM
I bought four of them in the last few years and they are all the same. The sleeve has no up and down play in it so the pin is riding high.

Mike

So on those newer bridges, it's not just the thickness of the neck, but the gap is too closed?  In the past, Penn had complaints the gear sleeve moved too much, so that's possibly why this change was made, is my assumption.

The original style post bridges with the more open neck were probably manufactured for the last time in the mid to late 90's sometime, sold by Penn until they were gone and these new ones started to be made. Not sure when the new ones started, we didn't make note of the date the problem first cropped up.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com