Hawaiian Meat-n-Three?

Started by ChileRelleno, March 23, 2017, 09:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

OK, you're in Hawaii and you're down at the local food hangout for lunch/dinner.
You're ordering a BBQ'd/smoked meat entree, something undeniably Hawaiian, and three sides.
What would the most common and likely choices be?
And possibly a dessert?

I'm trying to come up with a Hawaiian Meat-n-Three for a BBQ/Smoke Throw Down.
One issue so far is that a few of my ideas require banana or Ti leaves for cooking the meats/fish.
Hard to find items right now where I'm at... Unless I buy Ti leaves from a florist at a premium price.

So far I'm possibly looking at,
Pork Kalua
Spam musubi
LauLau
LomiLomi Salmon
Hawaiian (Okinawan) Purple Sweet potatoes
Macaroni salad
Haupia

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Bryan Young

When you say smoke meat, are you referring to the Hawaiian smoke meat which is like a teriyaki marinated pork butt/shoulder cut into 1" strips then smoked. Then cut up and fried wit Maui onions?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

otownjoe

You might be able to find banana leaves in the freezer section of your local mega market. Joe

Tightlines667

Your list is pretty good.  The other 3 common meat dishes are:

BBQ ShortRibs
Terryiki Beef
Shoyu Chicken

and the number 1 side in Hawaii..

Rice

Of course.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 23, 2017, 09:59:40 PM
When you say smoke meat, are you referring to the Hawaiian smoke meat which is like a teriyaki marinated pork butt/shoulder cut into 1" strips then smoked. Then cut up and fried wit Maui onions?
Anything with fur, fins or feathers ubiquitous to Hawaiian BBQ.
I think I've settled on the Pork Kalua, Shoyu Chicken, Spam mubusi, LomiLomi Salmon, Mac salad, rice, Haupia and maybe an exotic fruit salad.

Gonna be a feast at my house Saturday night, and I hope I win/place in this Throw Down.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Fishamen7

I think the common plate lunch would be a good base
These are some of my favorite plate lunch meats that can be grilled or smoked
short ribs, hamburger steak, Teri chicken, char su pork
Three sides
Two scoops of rice one scoop of mac salad
Usually my choice
But if you are talking Hawaiian got to have the poke
Poi is a good choice also, rice is a must have, Okinawa sweet potatoes roasted in hot coals are fantastic

Pickle mango, li hing pineapples, malasada, Shave ice and butter mochi are popular here as well

Makule

All of the suggests are good.  Add on: Chicken long rice and kalua cabbage.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

MarkT

Chicken Katsu with rice and macaroni salad works for me!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

swill88

When I'm on Oahu, just can't resist the Spam!

Not kidding. mmmmmm

Steve

David Hall

Quote from: swill88 on March 24, 2017, 04:18:25 AM

When I'm on Oahu, just can't resist the Spam!

Not kidding. mmmmmm

Steve

I almost skipped over your post to put in a hit for SPAM!!!!

smnaguwa

Sounds ono(delicious). Might add pipikaula(Hawaiian jerky) as appetizer. Really good with beer.

Bryan Young

Quote from: ChileRelleno on March 23, 2017, 11:20:43 PM
Anything with fur, fins or feathers ubiquitous to Hawaiian BBQ.

Hey, hey, hey, watch.  >:(   ::)   ;D

Quote from: ChileRelleno on March 23, 2017, 11:20:43 PM
I think I've settled on the Pork Kalua, Shoyu Chicken, Spam mubusi, LomiLomi Salmon, Mac salad, rice, Haupia and maybe an exotic fruit salad.

Gonna be a feast at my house Saturday night, and I hope I win/place in this Throw Down.

Sounds like a good spread. 

Regarding the Lomi Lomi Salmon, don't use fresh salmon if possible.  Cure it with a whole lot of salt if you can.  If you have fresh salmon, cut the salmon in filets about 1/2" thick and salt the heck out of it.  It should be drowing in salt.  Sea salt is the best.  Let cure overnight.  Then rinse the salt off and soak in fresh water is it's too salty for an hour.  Then dry and cut up into 1/2" squares.  For onions, if you cannot find Maui Onions, try Oh-So-Sweet onions.  They are pretty good with Lomi Lomi as well.  If that cannot be found, take you yellow or white onion, cut it up and soak it in a lemon brine (lemon and water) overnight.  I'm not sure what happens, but the onions get sweeter by doing this.

I wish you were closer...I'd help you cook and of course, crash the festivities while I'm there.   ;D

Happy celebration.  Now I'm so hungry for Lau Lau, Kalua Pig, Lomi Lomi Salmon, Chicken Long Rice, and Rice with starters Poke and Pipikaula...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ChileRelleno

Well this endeavor hit a brick wall, unexpected expenses have killed my extracurricular budget.   >:(
Ragnar Benson:

Bryan Young

Quote from: ChileRelleno on March 24, 2017, 11:54:11 PM
Well this endeavor hit a brick wall, unexpected expenses have killed my extracurricular budget.   >:(
awe. Okay. Kill the salmon. Everything else is relatively inexpensive.

swill88

Quote from: ChileRelleno on March 24, 2017, 11:54:11 PM
Well this endeavor hit a brick wall, unexpected expenses have killed my extracurricular budget.   >:(

buy a can of spam... a pineapple, a sweet onion, voila!

jmo

steve