alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial What do you use for verticle jig molds?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 21, 2018, 05:46:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you use for verticle jig molds?  (Read 9904 times)
gstours
Sensei

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2017, 06:21:43 AM »

Has anybody purchased anything lately from these folks?   They look pretty well made,  and have a pretty good selection of Jig molds that i,ve never seen before.   Is shipping expensive,  if so people could combine an order possibly?    Just wonderin.    Maybe somebody knows.   
ReelFishingProblems

Nick - Tampa, FL

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2017, 07:00:25 AM »

Has anybody purchased anything lately from these folks?   They look pretty well made,  and have a pretty good selection of Jig molds that i,ve never seen before.   Is shipping expensive,  if so people could combine an order possibly?    Just wonderin.    Maybe somebody knows.   
I’d be interested in joining an order for some of the pirk molds. They look great
Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2017, 07:10:53 AM »

A friend of mine lets me use his D0-It Flutter Jig mold, depending on the size they run between $35.00 and $75.00.  When they let us fish a lot of lingcod are caught on these.  I prefer using large plastic swimbaits over jigs most of the time though.

That silicone mold in the photo above would be pretty simple to duplicate in 6061. Is that what Do-It is selling - aluminum molds that can be hinged or clamped together while the lead is poured?

My Do-It molds are all hinged aluminum.  Almost any aluminum will work, use what you have,  I think I have 1 home made aluminum mold made out of 5056.  

I have 2 molds (16oz and 32oz cannonballs) that came hinged but the hinges broke due to years of use and they are held together with a clamp when poring. My 16# downrigger ball mold hinges broke on the second ball I cast, the handles broke off a few later, and has been clamped with a C clamp for many pours.

We used to make sand castings.  You can do one-offs with nothing but moist sand impressions.  Can't get cheaper than that.
-steve

I cast a dive weight mold using greensand.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:27:25 AM by Keta » Logged

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
gstours
Sensei

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2017, 06:35:35 PM »

Mr.  Keta,   Im a dummy here in like what is greensand?     Sand with Huh?    thanks.
Bill B (Tarfu)
Fish Nutritionist II
Sensei

Crestline, CA

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2017, 02:27:45 PM »

Gary, not sure if you are talking about Jans Net Craft or not, but I just ordered 5 guide sets for some light/medium boat rods (they had a pre packaged set of seven guides including the tip) some thread coating and 10 brushes for $35 shipped ($9 was shipping).  The guides are not PacBay for sure but decent quality....Shipping was reasonable and about a week from Ohio to SoCal......Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!
droppedit

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2017, 03:04:09 PM »

Gary, I know a person in New Hampshire is using these molds that he bought a couple of years ago. I do think he modified the forms though, and was using a welding wire that went through the jig. I just went to their website and it looks as though shipping is 10 pounds to the US. Not sure of the conversion rate but it sounds about right.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com
Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2017, 04:44:19 PM »

Mr.  Keta,   Im a dummy here in like what is greensand?     Sand with Huh?    thanks.

Casting sand for foundry work.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
Gadget

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2018, 05:25:16 PM »

I've experimented now with a number of different silicons and moulding systems.
Dow Corning made a good one years ago RTV 5120 I think it was and those moulds have stood the test of time (made in the early 80's). Apparently now though the mixture has changed and they dont last as long.
I was put onto silicons made by a company in the USA Barnes Corp. they have a couple of different high temp ones but the best is Wacker 4670 a beige coloured silicon. The salmon coloured one (number escapes me at present is not as flexible and can shear when extracting your poured jig.These moulds are good for perhaps 100 jigs if you take care of them.I have currently done 40 odd in a single mould with no visible issues.Two piece moulds are better than singles but they can be expensive. The silicon costs me $95 AUD for a kilo.roughly $70 USD. I can make two 350 gm moulds from 1kg as one piece or 4 as a two peice mould and then up to 630gms.
Hope this helps someone. Happy to take some photos and post them if anyone is interested.

A bad days fishing is better than a good day in the office
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: