Custom painting your lures...

Started by FishnNauru, February 14, 2014, 09:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishnNauru

So I started adding black stripes to many a trolling lure a while back, figuring more contrast from underneath with result in the killing of the lure, it think it helps
I like darker under sides too, as it is opposite to all bait fish that are dark on top and light underneath, so I reckon they should be more visible to fish and therefore die...read that in a Fred Archer book.
Since then I've started adding red near the gills and a yellow tail. Ive seen a lot of bait recently that has a yellow tail and Peter pakula mentioned a similar thing in keel weights he adds to his skirts.
So now I have the collection of nail polish in assorted colors to touch up my lures, more than my wife..not so manly I know but the fish like em ;) if i Could only find a chartreuse almost yellow glow color in a polish I'd be set :)
The pic is a rapala on the left and 3 halcos with additional paint work
Any other lure painters, touch-er-up-er-ers?
I have the gift of taking a small job and making it into a big job!

LTM

Keep us updated on how this works out for you.

Leo

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

FishnNauru

I thought teeth marks speak for themselves :)
That silver halco "mullet" has caught 10-15 wahoo in the last week...keep having to repaint the yellow tail on it as it gets chewed off :) it caught a 14.5 kg yf tuna too, my 7 year old reeled that and many of the wahoo in himself :) I just steer the boat and gaff for him :)
The sailfish is he biggest fish yet, 45lb. Not on a halco, but I just wanted to bag on my boy :) he Loves is shimano TLD 2 speed :) he gains victory over the beasts of the deep low gear :)
I have the gift of taking a small job and making it into a big job!

kmstorm64

Love the pics of your son with the catch of the day. I am sure that gets you beaming when he hauls them in!
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!