Main Menu

Teasers

Started by Tightlines667, March 24, 2017, 07:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Quote from: Keta on March 24, 2017, 07:29:04 PM
I have one that has never been used that I will sell if I can find it.

Lee,

LMK if you find your teaser, and send or post a pic.  I would likely take it off of your hands.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

boon

Thought about running a dredge? A decent number of fishos in this part of the world (NZ) are using these now, often with a large teaser (just a big hookless lure) in behind it. Dredge raises the fish, then you draw it in on the teaser then switch it out for a hooked lure or pitched bait. More of a billfish tactic than tuna/mahi/whatever.
As mentioned you need a pretty on-to-it crew to clear the dredge if you raise a fish and do the teasing.

conchydong

I sold all of my teasers as I don't fish for Marlin as they are scarce in my area. Daisy chains and spreaders work better for my purpose, even though I don't use them as often as I should.

Tightlines667

Rigged up a dredge to run on the downrigger as a teaser.  I will run a hookless 'deadbait' ballyhoo off the center back, and run a naked hooked ballyhoo just above and behind the dredge.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

I used 20-5" & 4-8" pearl/white pencil squids with 18" spreader bars, and 1oz and 1/2 oz egg sinkers in the squids.  Snap swivels on each on the center lines.
Hope springs eternal

erikpowell

We had this expensive teaser from Melton Tackle a few years back, The Dancin' Dolphin, as I recall we joined a couple sets together for a total of about 5 or 6 in a line.
We saw the most amazing results from this!
The mahi mahi would literally surround the boat and run right beside the chain and right up into the bow wave.
What a sight to see, amazing results.
Unfortunately they didn't last very long as the wahoo really loved them too ;)

Another very effective teaser, especially in a pinch (as in when the wahoo have destroyed or altogether eaten all your expensive teasers) was a simple small-med boat fender painted lengthwise half purple and attached to cord...throw that into the prop wash and watch it dive, breach, and bounce erratically... beauty.
I've seen those bring up big billfish. We tagged a 450lb Blue marlin using the fender as a last resort teaser once on a 3 day blue water trip off Kadavu, Fiji.

I think I have photos somewhere...

Cheers John......have you ever see the fender trick in HI ?

Erik

Tightlines667

Quote from: erikpowell on January 13, 2018, 11:31:37 PM
Quote from: erikpowell on January 13, 2018, 11:27:04 PM
We had this expensive teaser from Melton Tackle a few years back, The Dancin' Dolphin, as I recall we joined a couple sets together for a total of about 5 or 6 in a line.
We saw the most amazing results from this!
The mahi mahi would literally surround the boat and run right beside the chain and right up into the bow wave.
What a sight to see, amazing results.
Unfortunately they didn't last very long as the wahoo really loved them too ;)

Another very effective teaser, especially in a pinch (as in when the wahoo have destroyed or altogether eaten all your expensive teasers) was a simple small-med boat fender painted lengthwise half purple and attached to cord...throw that into the prop wash and watch it dive, breach, and bounce erratically... beauty.
I've seen those bring up big billfish. We tagged a 450lb Blue marlin using the fender as a last resort teaser once on a 3 day blue water trip off Kadavu, Fiji.

I think I have photos somewhere...

Cheers John......have you ever see the fender trick in HI ?

Btw, those Witchdoctors are magic too!

Erik

No I haven't, but I have seen them used elsewhere.

Got word that the Striped Marlin showed up yesterday.  My 2 friends ran into a rat pack if 3or4 fish each, and they caught 3.  We have a 15'groundswell out there right now, but I may have to go try to find a fish or 2 this weekend.

Johm
Hope springs eternal

erikpowell

Or if not I'm sure you can find a surf somewhere  :o :o

How'd your dredge work out, you been using it?
I've always found them cumbersome and kinda hard to deal with.
Do you have to back down your trolling speed somewhat when you use it?

Tightlines667

Quote from: erikpowell on January 14, 2018, 01:29:36 AM

Well, it seemed to work great on Mahi one day, when I was trolling ballyhoo.  Another, I ended up breaking 2 of the arms off by trolling a bit too fast when running artificial lures from the bank to the fad, and I left it in. 

I haven't fished it since I ran outta ballyhoo. 

I have been catching a few Mahi and/or Skipjack on each of my last 4 outings over the last couple of weeks.  Thinking of chasing Stiped marlin and Mahi tmrw or Monday with 7" Polu Kai and/or small moldcrafts rigged with dead Akule.

2 of those trips were solo, and I don't like to mess with a dredge or downrigger when fishing by myself.

John
Hope springs eternal

erikpowell

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 14, 2018, 01:37:34 AM
Quote from: erikpowell on January 14, 2018, 01:29:36 AM

2 of those trips were solo, and I don't like to mess with a dredge or downrigger when fishing by myself.

John

I don't blame you John!

Good luck with the Stripies, hope you hook up. I'm sure your arsenal of Hawaiian magic will get the job done.
You guys are so lucky, Hawaiians are leaps and bounds ahead of most when it comes to the mana of magic game lures  ;)
I have a friend who moved here from Hawaii, his stash of hawaiian lures and the accompanying stories & photos are eye popping.
Tight Lines!

Patudo

Striped Marlin are the perfect target for teasers if you have enough hands on deck to manage them.  They love that kind of multiple teaser (daisy chain spreader bar dredge etc), often stay around the teasers rather than giving you the big crash bite and disappear act that blue marlin do, and aren't as destructively aggresive as a blue marlin - you may get a few teasers chewed on or stolen but you don't run the risk of the whole thing being blitzed.  Plus, they light up so bright they are easy to see on the teasers and you may often raise more than one.  Small akule or opelu is great for a pitch bait but for trolling I much prefer skipjack belly strip.  Quite tough (as far as baits go), easier to rig and the fish love them.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Patudo on January 19, 2018, 01:06:51 AM
Striped Marlin are the perfect target for teasers if you have enough hands on deck to manage them.  They love that kind of multiple teaser (daisy chain spreader bar dredge etc), often stay around the teasers rather than giving you the big crash bite and disappear act that blue marlin do, and aren't as destructively aggresive as a blue marlin - you may get a few teasers chewed on or stolen but you don't run the risk of the whole thing being blitzed.  Plus, they light up so bright they are easy to see on the teasers and you may often raise more than one.  Small akule or opelu is great for a pitch bait but for trolling I much prefer skipjack belly strip.  Quite tough (as far as baits go), easier to rig and the fish love them.

I think it can be kinda tough to target Striped Marlin here, as it's usually just a few random 'rat pack's that show up intermediately in the winter.  It was a bit bouncy out Sunday, so I ended up just running my 7 "and 5" Mahi jigs, and had some pitch baits rigged and ready.  I found a half dozen or so groups of Mahi, but they seemed yo hit a small group of 5" flying fish on the surface, then drop back down to depth, and they were moving.  Tough yo get them to see a bait, and so only caught 1.

I like your ideas there though.  I think I may have to get one of those mylar strip teasers, run it with a dead bait rigged just behind it, and have some pitch baits ready to go. 

I found some ballyhoo Monday, so ran out that evening and pulled some ballyhoo behind moldcraft heads in close.  Only found a few really small Skipjack, and houndfish that took swipes at the baits w/o getting hooked. 

Hope springs eternal

Miles Offshore

We have been using a mylar dredge teaser for three seasons now, i am sorry i dont have better vid of it in the water but i made it to run balyhoo around the edges and off the bottoms. Osing 40/60 oz torpedo lead in front of it and using a fathommaster downrigger with a pully system rigged to a cleat forward on the boat. Hope this works and it will give you an idea of how it looks minus the hoos.

Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Tightlines667

I like it!

Last 2 days my buddy Jay went 1 for 3 then 3 for 4 on Striped Marlin, running ballyhoo rigged 'dink bait' style, and a dredge w/ballyhoo teaser.  He grew up fishing the grand banks, running a charter biat there, and fishing tournaments.  He says the Stripers are just super-charged White Marlin.  1 was 125#, 2 around 80#, 1 @60, 3-10lb Mahi, 2-30lb Mahi, 1-12lb Skipjack, and 1 8lb Bonita.  He dropped 180#s (Head&gutted) Striped Marlin, and 32#s Mahi (gilled&gutted) on the auction block.  The remaining fish were cut up for the anglers.

I fished 8 artificials for 8 hours today in the same area by myself, w/o a single fish in the spread.  Just gotta run into them 'rat packs'.  I am convinced the ballyhoo, work better on Striped Marlin and Wahoo.

John
Hope springs eternal

Miles Offshore

Nice, pretty work John! We dont catch stripys here, blues, whites and saildogs along with an occasional spearfish. I only drag the dredge during white season ( august through october) but do pull teasers in addition to the dredge year round. Our teasers are basically 10/12 12" squids on danglers followed by and islannder express rigged with a large balyhoo hookless. Left side all pink, right side normally all blue but will switch it up. Will usually run another pink islannder express with a select balyhoo on the left short always just past the teaser and it doesnt always catch but when it does its usually big, hahahha. Hope this helps, i think i have a picture of my teasers ill try an upload.
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.