Main Menu

Teasers

Started by Tightlines667, March 24, 2017, 07:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 03, 2017, 06:03:24 PM

Lee,

LMK if you find your teaser, and send or post a pic.  I would likely take it off of your hands.

John

I missed this, if you still want it you can have it for the shipping.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

In preparation for "The Annual Pearl Harbor Fishing Tournament" this saturday, I re-rigged my marlin lures and made a decision about a marlin teaser.  I decided I might as well buy one that imitates a Skipjack Tuna, since there are many small piles around right now, and one that I can run hooks in.  The choice was obvious, to me anyways, "The Black Bart Breakfast".  This thing is scary to just look at, and dwarfs my 14&16" standard big marlin baits.  It is 22" overall, and has 14" skirts.  I rigged it on 600lb mono with a tandam 16/0-14/0 stiff-hook rig.  I intend to run this one right in the prop wash off a flat line clip.  I figure, why run a teaser when I can run a monster.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

I have 17 different marlin baits, but most don't see much time in the water because I'd rather catch a tuna than a marlin.  This weekend it's a 'biggest fish' tournament, so that means I'll be running the big boys.  The last tournament I fished was a tuna tournament, so naturally I ran tuna baits, and ended up catching marlin.  I supose this time, I'll run marlin baits and catch tuna..lol
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Yesterday one of the Honolulu charter boats landed a grander Blue Marlin on the 1000fa curve outside Ko'Olina, or within 10nm of where my boat is birthed.  That fish would be a winner!
Hope springs eternal

doradoben

John, in reply 31 your photo has 2 Bart lures. I've never run the bigger one, but even the "smaller" lure (Blue Breakfast) is a large, serious, heavy tackle marlin lure. I have a much smaller ,about 12 inch, Hot Breakfast that I've run a lot as a rigger lure with very good results. Good luck in your tournament.   

SoCalAngler

In Baja we don't really run teasers per se but I do run birds. I made a daisy chain of 6 smaller birds that look and act like this in this video. I run these about 15 yards back to attract smaller game like dorado. In the past I have run larger single birds, maybe 6-8 inches long, in front of a lure as a teaser for larger game like  tuna and such. I have the bird attached to the line coming off the reel and attach the lure about 6-8' behind the bird. These are used mainly as teasers but the lures do have a hook as sometimes the fish go for these lures. I don't run out riggers so 4 lines is all I troll and one of the shorter lines gets a big bird if I feel like it.

Oh if you do try the single bird approach make sure the bird is through wired. I'm sure you know this but I thought I would just throw that out.

I use the daisy chain most often because it is not on a reel, just on it's own rope attached to the chain. This makes it super fast to clear when you do get hooked up.

Tightlines667

I have a few daisy chains of moldcraft squids that I sometimes run on outriggers in a more verticle position to create more action on the squid, or I run a big single bird in front of each daisy chain.  Or I run a single bird on the long center with a small malolo jet on a long leader behind it.  I reserve the birds for glass calm days, and the moldcraft on verticle riggers for low wind/strong cross-swell choppy/bumpy water. 

As far as yesterday's tourny went, we were one of 23 boats that didn't land a single fish.  I decided to run marlin baits all day since it was a biggest fish tournament.  First thing in the morning as soon as I arrived at marlin alley, we raised a small Blue Marlin on the short corner.  The fish was all over the bait.  He left and came back 3 seperate times.  I had one of the guys cranking the bait away from him, and dropping it back but he pulled it away from the fish when he made his last solid turn out of tye water to grab it.  We had another small marlin smack the long rigger bait, and pop the clip in the afternoon, but he missed the hooks and didn't come back.  61 boats only caught 2 small Marlin, but 14 yellowfin tuna were caught.  In hindsight I should have targeted Ahi. 

We still had a great day on the water.

John
Hope springs eternal

SoCalAngler

I don't target billfish but I will bait one from time to time, when someone who fishes with us has not caught one before or if the need to pull on something is strong and we are not catching others. Most of the time live baiting is done by us with macs cast to surface spotted fish be it sails or marlin.

When trolling the caught billfish are mostly bycatch when we are looking for others and this can happen often.

I like your spread of lures there John but I have to ask, why not a door knob type of lure head in the mix? I know some think there out dated but from my experience they still get bit.

Anyway there is the next tourney and the lessons you learn along the way will make you better than you already are.

Good luck moving forward and I'm sure you will dial it in for a nice pay day.