Penn 112H

Started by joel8080, March 24, 2017, 04:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel8080

I have modified and rebuilt my share of Penn reels but I never had this problem before.

If I lock down the star there is no problem anything less then that as soon as I start to turn the handle the star spins back to the handle and the drag is lost and the start is against the handle.

The reel has steel gear, ss dog and Brians 5 drag washer package and a Tiburon frame.

Any Ideas what could be causing the star to back off?.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

Keta

Do you have a wavy or Bellville washer in the drag stack?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

joel8080

Yes, there is a wavey washer on top.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

Bryan Young

Is the keyed washer on the top of the drag stack.  If not, the metal washers need to be reconfigured

gear
Carbontex
keyed washer
Carbontex
eared washer
Carbontex
keyed washer
Carbontex
eared washer
Carbontex
keyed washer
wavy washer
spacing sleeve
star
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

joel8080

That's the way there stacked plus a Delrin washer on top then the wavey washer.

Joel
Oceanside,California

Bryan Young

I wonder if the Delrin washer is touching the side plate, and therefore, unscrewing the star when cranking.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mizmo67

We've seen this happen when the threads are worn out on either the sleeve or the star, or both.
There's a point where they just don't hold properly.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

joel8080

I did find the problem? one of the ears on the washer was bent a little, I had to run out just got back and I will check it out
Tonite or first thing in the AM.

Joel
Oceanside,California

RowdyW

After installing the drag setup, wavy washer, & spacer sleeve, wrap a rubber band around the end of the gear sleeve to hold everything compressed. Assemble the plate & then remove the rubber band & install the star. What is probably happening is when you are assembling it the upper eared washer is poping out & one or both ears are sitting on top of the main gear.           Rudy

joel8080

Oceanside,California