Putting the Beachmaster to work.

Started by Wolfram M, August 20, 2023, 03:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfram M

Got the parts modeled and the first few bits machined on my super beachmaster project, and now I want to re-assemble the original Penn beachmaster parts with some 49 parts, narrowing it and getting it re-assembled.

I have a Penn 10ft Squadron III surf rod to assemble the narrowed Penn reel with, so I can learn to use it for now. Once I get casting under my thumb, I'll have a better plan on what I want to change in the super beachmaster. (Assuming I want to change anything!)

My plan is to spool up the narrow reel with 30lb braid (just to have the thicker braid) and a 30lb or 50lb fluorocarbon leader (because that's the material I have, mono would probably be just fine) and probably have a 3-5oz weight + some bait on, for fishing the surf or jetties.

What pitfalls do I need to watch out for getting this together? I have about 5 weeks to practice casting in the big field next to work.

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

Very short leader so the knot is outside the rod tip. Bring water and wet the spool constantly or you'll burn the skin off your thumb. Start slow just lobbing it at first
I'd start with 80lb braid at first, easier to pick out the birds nests
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Wolfram M

Normally I wear at least one abrasion/cut resistant glove, to protect from braid and line cuts. I made a cast with a spinning rod with no gloves and the drag wasn't set tight enough ONE TIME and I'll never make that mistake again!

I've used conventional rods for bottom fishing, just dropping them straight down and minding the spool, but never cast with them before.

I'd spool with cheap mono but then that won't be training my thumb to work with what I want to fish with, so I'll go pick up some 80lb braid to spool on.

Would you recommend 80lb hollow braid to allow for a spliced-in leader?

JasonGotaProblem

Id recommend cheap braid to start with. You're gonna be throwing it away.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Swami805

Hollow, you can splice it or use loop to loop for your leader, much better than a knot
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cuttyhunker

Can the old original squidding line still be found? Nylon (I think) braid in 36 and 54 test tan colored?  Used to fish it in a 200, pretty much the same reel.  Never tried the super PE braid in a conventional, would the elasticity and larger diameter make the nylon a better choice?
Doomed from childhood

CapeFish

Prepare for braid swallowed between the spool and frame. Control the spool on the rim and keep your thumb away from the line, you will burn it in no time especially with some glove on

Wolfram M

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on August 21, 2023, 10:55:27 AMCan the old original squidding line still be found? Nylon (I think) braid in 36 and 54 test tan colored?  Used to fish it in a 200, pretty much the same reel.  Never tried the super PE braid in a conventional, would the elasticity and larger diameter make the nylon a better choice?

I have the line I took off this reel still, I don't know if it's nylon or not. It's *huge* compared to modern line, and it's tan-colored. It could be dacron, though. (EDIT: it's definitely dacron. Tan, about 0.062" diameter dacron.)

I'm already planning on having to junk a lot of line, so I will spool with the cheap braid for now and if it's still in good shape in October I'll just pack a spool of my preferred line in case I need it.

Also, found out the pond next to the school holds some decent size largemouth. Going to take a rod out and give it a few casts if it's not tooo hot tomorrow. (Supposed to be over 100 again.)

Wolfram M

Spooled up with the big old dacron that originally came on the reel, tied on a 3oz sinker, and got it all mounted on the rod. Gonna start practicing this week, so I'll make sure to get photos of my best backlashes.

Cor

Quote from: CapeFish on August 21, 2023, 07:51:56 PMPrepare for braid swallowed between the spool and frame. Control the spool on the rim and keep your thumb away from the line, you will burn it in no time especially with some glove on
Yip, he knows!
Cornelis

Cuttyhunker

Quick test to see whether you have dacron or nylon is burn the end and blow it out, then right away, smell the smoke.  Nylon is acrid, polyester (dacron) sweetish.
Doomed from childhood

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on September 01, 2023, 12:27:43 PMQuick test to see whether you have dacron or nylon is burn the end and blow it out, then right away, smell the smoke.  Nylon is acrid, polyester (dacron) sweetish.
Thank you for that. I have a roll of line that doesn't look like normal braid. I was wondering if it's dacron. Now, at the expense of my lungs, i have a way to test. (just kidding I did far worse to them when i was younger)
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Wolfram M

Spent some time this evening getting to throw the Beachmaster setup, got the thumb control down pretty quickly for not having any wind blowing. Still need lots of practice, but I was eventually able to consistently cast almost the full spool of line out. (The 29-100L spool doesn't hold much when it's 0.062" diameter braid!) My longest cast was me playing chicken with the arbor knot and stopping the spool with only maybe a dozen turns left on it, at 150 paces.

I will spool up with 40lb braid, because that's the heaviest I have and the local shops don't carry anything heavier than 30lb anymore. I'll keep throwing it some every afternoon until I leave to head down to the beach again, so I can stave off as much knot-picking as I can when I get there.