Jigmaster questions again

Started by TongassFisher, March 28, 2017, 01:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TongassFisher

Thanks for all of the help so far re Jigmaster failure post.

So I threw together this 500 and it brought up a few more questions.

1st, I'm running the factory Penn steel 4:1 gear and pinion that came on the 500s from the 70-80s. My question is how is the strength of the factory steel 4:1 gears as compared to modern aftermarket SS gear sets from black pearl? The set I have was new unused. I'm inclined to stick with it unless it's not even close in streangth. Big Alaskan halibut might happen on this reel so strength is important.

2nd, how can I get a more gradual roll up from no drag to full drag? As it sits now, it increases very quickly with one full rotation, (360 degrees) with the star from none to just about max drag? Btw, I'm running Bryans 500 drag set.

Any recommended actions to slow down the quickness that the drag snugs down? Will a fine threaded sleeve and star help with this?

Few more random comments. I still need and plan to buy the Black Pearl SS double dog bridge/sleeve. If the fine thread sleeve helps with the drag adjustability I'll order it up. Will need a new motive star then too😬

Here are a few pics
IMG_2229" border="0
Factory 500 steel gears with bryans drag set
IMG_2228" border="0

Reel 224

If you want security in knowing the Jigmaster 500 is going to support the extra stress that big game will put on it, then I would go with the double dog bridge and the finer toothed gear sleeve and SS gears.

Try turning the drag star in smaller increments 1/4-1/2 turns

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bill B

The more educated will chime in soon, but for what it's worth, the fine thread sleeve will give a slower drag ramp up, and the stainless gears will be stronger (But then I am not all that knowledgeable)  How much stronger the stainless gears are, those with first hand knowledge will let us know.  Personally I'd fish the steel gears until they no longer function without any qualms.   B
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

1)  the 4:1 gears are plenty strong. Good for 25 or so pounds. Whether stronger than heat treated stainless, it depends on the heat treating process.

2)  For a more gradual application of a drag, you are correct. I would go with a fine thread stainless steel gear sleeve and star.

3)  I just installed one of Adams stainless steel stars onto a jigmaster.  Those are actually very nice. Highly recommended.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

TongassFisher

Sounds like sticking with these factory penn steel gears should do the trick. Now I just need the fine threaded sleeve and SS dog.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply,

Trevor

sdlehr

Quote from: TongassFisher on March 28, 2017, 05:59:02 AM
Sounds like sticking with these factory penn steel gears should do the trick. Now I just need the fine threaded sleeve and SS dog.

Trevor

dont forget the star!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bryan Young

Quote from: TongassFisher on March 28, 2017, 05:59:02 AM

Trevor

HI Trevor,

Fish it in this configuration until you are able to afford the SS bridge.  Might as well to do it all at once.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JRD

Trevor also look at the Gen I I sleeve kits that Alan has with the thin washer and CF under gear and a stainless dog threw in as well

foakes

I had a good friend growing up -- who had a 63 Dodge Coronet with a 440, Hurst Shifter, Posi, Cragers, Holleys, and more.

He would take it out to Raisin City to run the 1/4 mile drag strip every weekend.

After 3 or 4 runs -- the engine would blow.

Fortunately he became very skilled at removing the engine quickly, rebuilding it better, and waiting until the next weekend to do it again.  Maybe built 8 engines.

Drafted into the Army, went to Korea instead of Nam -- came back and married -- never ran the car again.  That was nearly 50 years ago -- last I checked, he still has the car tarped out in the barn.

Our Jigmasters are the same way -- we just keep learning and improving them beyond their design limits.

Lots of fun...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Multiple wave washers in a drag stack seem to really help power build slower. It's a shame there isn't room for a few more in a Penn star drag reel, but most times there's barely room for one. I guess I've gotten used to them ramping up so fast...it doesn't seem to bother me as much as it used to. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

TongassFisher

Quote from: mo65 on March 30, 2017, 12:45:50 AM
  Multiple wave washers in a drag stack seem to really help power build slower. It's a shame there isn't room for a few more in a Penn star drag reel, but most times there's barely room for one. I guess I've gotten used to them ramping up so fast...it doesn't seem to bother me as much as it used to. 8)

I've got a 113h with full SS internals and Motive sleeved drag, also have a stock internaled 113h and the drag builds much slower on the 113h than it does on my two jigmasters. I will just have to get used to the differences, No big! I would like to try out the fine threaded sleeve and star to see if that helps.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond,

Trev

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on March 30, 2017, 12:45:50 AM
I was thinking the opposite. A softer spring washer will ramp up slower than a stiff one. Stocking spring washers on top of each other makes them stiffer.

just my opinion.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 30, 2017, 01:22:43 AM
A softer spring washer will ramp up slower than a stiff one.

This is why I was thinking multiple spring washers would ramp up slower...because it will be even softer. Kinda like the Garcia Ambassaduers that use two back to back...)(...for added travel.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

I think there would be a difference, depending on the type of spring washer you are discussing. Mo's example of two washers in the )( configuration would be a softer configuration than (( or )), but if you're discussing a wavy washer, in my experience they don't stack well unless they are nested together, and that wouldn't make them softer, they would be stiffer, as Sal stated.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Reel 224

I used a plastic washer- ) from Mic Masters Car in my Newell that Sal had suggested and found that to be very helpful in graduating drag tension.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."