Please grease your drag washers

Started by alantani, March 29, 2017, 06:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wsenti

I saw this post show up on Facebook. I think a lot of people under service their Avets, I've even read not to grease the drags of Avets and just send them in for service. Interesting.

oc1

Looks like that's what the person did.  Did not grease the drag and sent it in to Alan for service.
-steve

David Hall

That's one way to always need service.

Cor

Looks of terrible neglect.
In many of my reels I prefer to use "Smoothies" dry drag washers but never has any of my reels looked like that!
Cornelis

alantani

interestingly, the bearings were all good,  i suspect this is just aone time exposure to alot of salt water, and then it sat for a long time. 

mike1010

That is sad.  Alan, is that the drag washer still on the spool, impregnated with corrosion?

Mike

mahfudzmn

I'd much rather have few percent lower drag by greasing the washer (as claimed by Avet test) instead of that kind of corrosion taking place.

Will also never use carbontex without grease because the carbon weave traps saltwater like nothing else in any reels. Cal's Drag Grease...I'm a firm believer  ;D

JRD

Alan where did the rust come from?  The spool surface is aluminum, the drag plate should be stainless.  If the bearings were not leaking rust and the spool shafts, gear train are stainless there must have been a coating failure or sub par stainless somewhere.  Not bashing but just traded for a mxl and wanna know where to go double check to make sure I have good grease coverage.

Keta

Corrosion under and in the drag washer is the #2 problem I run into with Avet reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

Quote from: mike1010 on March 30, 2017, 03:13:08 PM
That is sad.  Alan, is that the drag washer still on the spool, impregnated with corrosion?

Mike

i scraped off the corrosion and left it on the paper.  that is the powder that you see.  after slathering on a bunch of cal's grease, i rubbed off all the excess, cleaned it up and it worked fine!!!!

alantani

Quote from: JRD on March 30, 2017, 04:01:10 PM
Alan where did the rust come from?  The spool surface is aluminum, the drag plate should be stainless.  If the bearings were not leaking rust and the spool shafts, gear train are stainless there must have been a coating failure or sub par stainless somewhere.  Not bashing but just traded for a mxl and wanna know where to go double check to make sure I have good grease coverage.

it came from the stainless steel pressure plate.  i cleaned it up with the wire brush on my bench grinder and it was badly pitted, so i coated it with cal's grease, wiped off the excess and we were good!

JRD

Quote from: alantani on March 30, 2017, 05:38:46 PM
Quote from: JRD on March 30, 2017, 04:01:10 PM

it came from the stainless steel pressure plate.  i cleaned it up with the wire brush on my bench grinder and it was badly pitted, so i coated it with cal's grease, wiped off the excess and we were good!

Thank you Alan.