The 501N with stainless frame & spool

Started by mhc, March 30, 2017, 06:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Chris (Rothmar2) has been busy again making another stainless steel jigmaster frame using the tooling he developed for his jigmaster project http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14008.60
This frame is 1 3/8" wide - 1/4" narrower than a regular 501 jigmaster.

The spool started life as a stainless 500 'take apart spool' and Chris used a lathe to shorten the shaft / arbor to match the frame width. He polished the spool as well, it had a brushed finish last time I saw it!

Comparison with a 501 stainless spool

A frame like this deserves the best side plates and internal components available - Cortez Conversions plates by Tom Hrynuik with a Pro Challenger bridge, jack, yoke, gear sleeve and 4.8:1 gearset & Bryan's Ultimate Upgrades 5 stack drag kit

Chris also made a gear sleeve spacer out of stainless with a delrin insert/sleeve where it contacts the sideplate.

I like Alan T's delrin grips but wanted one a bit smaller than his 3/0 size so I made a smaller version using white acetyl and attached to a 316 stainless handle I had made. The star is from Adam (Motive Fabrication) and the stainless eccentric lever is one of mine with a white acetyl stop.

The 501N

And with a stainless frame 501 & accuplates

Thanks a million Chris!

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jerseymic

Rothmar2

Ah, that looks fantastic! The crank and grip all ties in really well together. Brutal little reel. Glad I could help make your vision a reality.

Alto Mare

That's some serious customizing, Chris...another amazing job!

Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

Very nicely done! Lots of creativity here!

..............Lou

steelhead_killer

><)))">

sdlehr

Holy moly, that looks fantastic! Chris knocked another one out of the park!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bryan Young

When I grow up I want to be a machinist.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastal_dan

:o  Speechless...

Edit: Now that I've looked at this post a few times, holy cow!  This reel is perfect...period.  This reel would be a hit here in the Northeast for Tog and Sea Bass.  An aluminum spool to save on a little weight would be the bees knees.

Job well done you two, flippin' sweet.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mo65

I bet you couldn't twist that thing if you tried...what a bulldog! Chris's work is so inspiring! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

The bar is set even higher now!   How much does the finished reel weigh?

Swami805

Wow, reel building at a whole other lever,just incredible
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

Quote from: sdlehr on March 30, 2017, 03:03:40 PM
Holy moly, that looks fantastic! Chris knocked another one out of the park!
Chris, Sid forgot this is an international web site.  ;D  The reference above is a baseball term meaning you did a great job.   :) In other words you hit a home run.  See I did it too.  I don't know what the equivalent would be in Tasmania except maybe goooooooooooooaal.   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

Very nicely done. Just mention Rothmar and my expectations are high.....Chris always seems to go beyond what the rest of us dare to imagine. Amazing !!

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!