The 501N with stainless frame & spool

Started by mhc, March 30, 2017, 06:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Awesome collection!

Must admit, that 0.5/0 Senator looks super nice. There's something about the 4 ring look that just spells  "classic piece".

eguinn

Hi, the reel looks nice, but I have a question, why would you want to make a reel that weight's as much as a Penn 4/0 ? Does it make the reel fish better, does it make flylining a bait easier, can you cast a bait or jig as far as a standard reel ? I'll bet $$ you can't flyline a chovy worth a damn with that heavy spool.
Maybe it would work with a big Mackeral , maybe I'm mentally disabled but I just don't get it, I understand using SS for gears  where you need the strength & maybe a few other small parts. I understand the need for custom parts for reels where certain parts are no longer available or strength is needed, or parts that make reel lighter. That being said my arms would be very tired if I used that reel all day long, as you probably guessed I'm a old school kinda guy, I like to keep my tackle as light & as simple as I can. Just my 2 cents. Ed           

mhc

Thanks Ed, I'm not going to try to justify building the reel, you got me on a practicality  ;D - it is heavy for it's size but works fine for bottom bashing in small boats using rod holders. A big advantage of stainless is it doesn't need to be anodized, chromed or painted to protect it from corrosion, titanium doesn't either but is expensive, particularly in thicker sections. Obviously the practical solution is to just buy a reel that suits your needs.
Mike 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

MarkT

Wow, now that's hot!... except for the white handle.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Maxed Out

Very impressive Mike. That 0.5/0 senator is killer, thanks for sharing your creations. Love em all !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mhc

A quick update on the 501N.
I had wanted to replace the chromed brass counterweight on my stainless framed 501 handle and Chris kindly offered to make one and when 'it' arrived there were three weights, two matching and a third slightly larger one. I thought just about every part of the 501N is custom made by someone on this site so I decided to replace the 'store bought' accurate weight on the 501N handle as well and have matching handles for my two 'Rothmar2' stainless jigmaster frames;

There was also a piece of 6mm thick stainless in the parcel Chris sent, with a recess machined in one end, a hole drilled in the middle of the recess with a circle of centre-pop marks around the hole. The other end had a 5-40 threaded hole and a couple of pieces of round delrin with 5-40 screws set in the centre and it took me a little while, and a subtle hint from Chris, to realise what I had - a blank for a wide/thick eccentric lever.
I didn't think to take a photo until after I had filed the key to fit the eccentric cam and started to cut the rough shape;

I changed my mind a few times between a straight design something like the levers Ted makes or a curved design to match the curved stars Adam makes, and ended up going with a curved shape. The next photos are after a bit of work on the bench grinder, belt sander, and filing;

And after a bit more sanding and polishing;

And mounted on the 501N;

Thanks again Chris, after seeing (hearing) what you put your mates 501 through on your last work adventure, I reckon these two reels would handle most fish I'm likely to run into around here.

Mike

Alto Mare

This is amazing... the best looking reel to date!
Mike and Chris, quit your day job and get cranking, making us some custom parts :)

Lots of talent here, thanks for sharing guys.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

That came out really nice! Have to agree with Sal, the "N" looks complete now with that lever. Going to have to pull finger and get mine made. Big tip of the hat to Ted for the inspiration for this.

Maxed Out

Wow, that is one sweet custom reel. Hard to imagine how many hours you've put in to make it happen, but well worth it IMO. Love that shift lever too !!

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tiddlerbasher

Chris - definitely a SIX no need for  a video referral ;D

Black Pearl

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 28, 2017, 12:38:33 PM
Mike and Chris, quit your day job and get cranking, making us some custom parts :)

Sal

Yeah Sal,

You should sell that Jigmaster sideplates you have to Mike..... LOL

Alto Mare

Quote from: Black Pearl on October 28, 2017, 10:55:52 PM

Sal

Yeah Sal,

That's actually a good idea, but I wouldn't sell it to him, I would probably let him have it for free.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

No Sal, you hang on to those puppies! One of a kind doesn't get passed around, unless of course it's the tank.  ;D

The Cortez Conversion plates look great enough to help Mike show off his talent.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mhc

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 28, 2017, 11:37:24 PM
Quote from: Black Pearl on October 28, 2017, 10:55:52 PM

Sal

Yeah Sal,

That's actually a good idea, but I wouldn't sell it to him, I would probably let him have it for free.

I agree it's a great idea  :D  but I don't think it should happen. Those plates have an interesting history and belong in Sal's collection, where they were originally conceived.

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on October 28, 2017, 10:49:23 PM
Chris - definitely a SIX no need for  a video referral ;D

Haha - nice reference to Dominick's earlier explanation of Sid's baseball term - for non cricketing readers, six is a good thing.

Mike

Marcq

Yup!!! Really nice and I dig the white handle  8)

Marc..