113h rumble after cleaning

Started by jlnel, July 11, 2020, 06:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlnel

Hi all,

Just cleaned a 113 and the reel is working fine, spins great, freespool fine but as you turn the handle you hear/feel a slight grumble on about 1/2 of every crank.

Took apart and looked it over and everything looks normal,  never had this issue before.

It is the same gears, didnt replace anything. I was thinking an issue with pinion gear rubbing but didnt see any wear or disturbance on the new grease.

Dont think the dog would cause an issue like that and tried a spare spool and also one with no clicker gear with same results.

I never had to clock the gears like in some of the newer baitrunners...

Thanks for any help and ideas!

John

Maxed Out

Your yoke could be in upside down. One side has rounded edges and that side should face up during assembly
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

RowdyW

Also check for a piece of debris between the pinion or main gear.        Rudy

mo65

Sometimes when a reel is reassembled, gears than never made a peep will get noisy and grinding can be felt. Some say it is from not getting the gears back in the original alignment. I wonder if this may be true...as I have experienced what you're getting. I also believe much of the problem is the old stiff grease cushioned the gears so much it masked the roughness. Spooling up new line or fishing the reel usually settles everything back into place. The problem is, that's not so convenient if the reel is one you're servicing for a customer. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Does kinda sound like the pinion is no longer aligned. If it's not what Ted suggested---how's the spool line-up with each side-plate? Any diffrence when you crank and turn the reel to either side?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jlnel

Thanks for the replies.

Yoke is in correct.

I've wondered about the grease thing, the last two that i had this issue with was extremely grease caked up..

I never thought the gears needed to be aligned on these, never have had to do it in the past but I'm thinking i may make a mark on each gear for this reason..

I am going to try ar rip one apart today and inspect the gears better, i didnt notice any debris but ya know how that goes!!

Alignment seems fine, no rubbing from spool lip or anywhere else that i saw, even tried a spare spool to rule out the original having a problem.

Everything seems seated fine, no binding and if you reel fast and let go of handle it continues to spin extremely nice for many rotations.

The other reel i had this happen with i had just replaced the pinion and tossed it up to new/old gear meshing  but this reel is all original and overall in great shape.

??baffling!!

mo65

You may want to try simply putting a heavier grease on the gears. The weight of the lubricant has a big effect on the feel of the reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Quote from: jlnel on July 13, 2020, 03:43:59 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Yoke is in correct.

I've wondered about the grease thing, the last two that i had this issue with was extremely grease caked up..

I never thought the gears needed to be aligned on these, never have had to do it in the past but I'm thinking i may make a mark on each gear for this reason..

I am going to try ar rip one apart today and inspect the gears better, i didnt notice any debris but ya know how that goes!!

Alignment seems fine, no rubbing from spool lip or anywhere else that i saw, even tried a spare spool to rule out the original having a problem.

Everything seems seated fine, no binding and if you reel fast and let go of handle it continues to spin extremely nice for many rotations.

The other reel i had this happen with i had just replaced the pinion and tossed it up to new/old gear meshing  but this reel is all original and overall in great shape.

??baffling!!
Not sure what you mean about aligning the gears.

At times it's as simple as loosening  the 4 bridge screws by a full turn, work the reel a little and gently tighten the bridge screws a little at a time by staggering.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jurelometer

If you are using the term aligning to mean that specific teeth on the gears have to be mated, this should not be an issue.  Properly designed gear sets use the right number of teeth ( usually prime numbers) on each gear so that specific pairs of teeth do not tend to be paired more frequently than others, as this leads to uneven wear.

You can count the teeth on this reel to find out for sure.

There are threads that discuss this topic.  Search for hunting gears.

And I always try what Sal recommends.  He is usually right .   You can also check the teeth for wear, but if this was a problem, you should have noticed the rumble before disassembly.

-J

Donnyboat

Hi John, did you take the pin out of the gear sleeve, & clean it out, just maybe a little bit of crap in there, then relube it, but Sal is generally right, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

jlnel

Hi guys,

Yes, by "aligning" i mean putting back the gears as the came out, matching the teeth touching as they were before dissasembly.

I dont think thats the issue, just thought id check.. i know the newer shimano baitrunner needs gears to be set back in in a specific direction.

I have been a little busy last couple days but i will try the screws to the bridge and then work my way into it to check for debris or damaged teeth the clean and lube the sleeve.

Just odd to me, it spins real nice and continues to rotate many time when you let go of handle but just that slight groan.

I'll tell owner to leave clicker on, don't notice it then!😉

Thanks for the help and ill post up this weekend with my results!