Penn Main Gear Talk

Started by mo65, March 30, 2017, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: mhc on April 09, 2017, 02:00:25 AM
Hi Greg, Alan T had some '2nd generation' gear sleeves made with the flat extended to the bottom of the sleeve to accommodate the under gear keyed washer. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13041.0

Mike

Yep...I guess I should have mentioned the second generation sleeves. Some members here have also filed their own sleeves to accommodate the keyed ss washer...but I just buy mine.
   Also, for the record, I have reels set up with all three types of under gear washers. The original Penn hard fiber spacer, Sal's delrin washer, and Bryan's ss/carbontex set. When all three are properly set up and lubed...I can't tell one from another...they all perform smoothly. The advantage of Bryan's set for me is the addition of another friction surface while being supported by a stainless steel bearing surface...all for the wallet friendly price of $6.40. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Quote from: mhc on April 09, 2017, 02:00:25 AM
Hi Greg, Alan T had some '2nd generation' gear sleeves made with the flat extended to the bottom of the sleeve to accommodate the under gear keyed washer. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13041.0

Mike

Thanks Mike, I was not aware of the new sleeves. The only sleeve I know of like that is on the Shimano Triton Mark 1 and 2. These were made in 1982.
cheers
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on April 09, 2017, 02:26:30 AM

Also, for the record, I have reels set up with all three types of under gear washers. The original Penn hard fiber spacer, Sal's delrin washer, and Bryan's ss/carbontex set. When all three are properly set up and lubed...I can't tell one from another...they all perform smoothly. The advantage of Bryan's set for me is the addition of another friction surface being supported by a stainless steel bearing surface...all for the wallet friendly price of $6.40.
Mo, what kind of drag did you have on the reel when you couldn't tell one from the other?
Just turning the handle after servicing wouldn't be noticeable. On the water, or pulling on the line with some drag would.
if that's how you came to your conclusion, great!...good to know.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 09, 2017, 02:39:05 AM
Mo, what kind of drag did you have on the reel when you couldn't tell one from the other?
Just turning the handle after servicing wouldn't be noticeable. On the water, or pulling on the line with some drag would.
if that's how you came to your conclusion, great!...good to know.

Yes...I meant while pulling off line during drag testing...and fishing also. I'll admit the only reel I've built that gets a little "chattery" at high settings has the stock Penn hard fiber spacer. I want to change it to delrin and see if that clears up...but I have a hard time finding delrin here. Also note I don't have any hard running fish like tuna to severely test on, so I have never spun a bearing washer/spacer to its death, although that sounds like some real fun! ;D

oc1

I have trouble finding thin delrin washers too and have been using mylar washers from the local hardware store.  Its cloudy white, hard, rigid, slick, and it seems to work fine.   Delrin and Mylar have similar specs (temperature, friction, hardness) but I cannot find a comparison of wear resistance.
-steve

Alto Mare

Quote from: oc1 on April 09, 2017, 08:07:43 AM
I have trouble finding thin delrin washers too and have been using mylar washers from the local hardware store.  Its cloudy white, hard, rigid, slick, and it seems to work fine.   Delrin and Mylar have similar specs (temperature, friction, hardness) but I cannot find a comparison of wear resistance.
-steve
Dawn at smoothdrag should have some precut.

If you could cut your own I believe McMasters shipps worldwide
https://www.mcmaster.com/#2638T15

I've been giving them out on my dime for the past 3 years, I'm now done doing so.

Sal

Wrong size, this is the one I usually use https://www.mcmaster.com/#2638T75  , but I'm noticing the thinner staock is just as durable.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

You just busted open an old wound Sal.  I wanted some delrin tubing (really handy stuff) and ordered a piece from McMaster.  I thought the order was for one foot.  A few days later they sent an invoice for ten to twenty dollars of material and sixty or seventy dollars shipping.  Their web site doesn't calculate shipping costs.  I told them sixty to seventy dollars shipping was too much thinking they could have put a foot of tubing in an envelope and I wanted to cancel the order.  They said the order had already been shipped and sent me a refund.  I said if it's already been shipped then OK, just charge me and I'll ask for a pro forma invoice next time.  We went back and forth and they refused to take the money.  Then the package arrived.  It was a huge five foot long cardboard tube with five feet of tubing inside; sent via courier no less.  That's why it cost sixty or seventy bucks to ship.  I felt like the senile old coot that I am and was so embarrassed that I haven't been back and do not know if they would have me back.  If I knew how the office was set up I'd send them a bunch of coffee supplies or buy the next birthday cake or something.
-steve

Alto Mare

Steve, at times things happen. Mcmaster has been very good to me, I have no complains, this is why I always recommend them.
Dawn is also excellent, so you have a couple of choices.

Sal

Three se7ens

Mcmaster has been really good to me too, and the return policy is second to none.  Their prices are a bit high, but they have nearly anything you could want from an industrial supply, and one of their regional offices is close enough to me that UPS ground arrives next day.  I order from them almost on a weekly basis...

On the delrin washers, I usually have the Penn Senator 113H and up sizes in stock.  If there is an interest, I can offer them separately. 

mo65

Here's another gear related subject that always stirs up a debate...shimming the gear sleeve. Some folks don't mind the loose fit of a stock gear sleeve, some folks are driven crazy by it, and I guess I fall somewhere in between. I like my gear sleeves to fit precisely, not tight. I like a thousandth or two of freedom...but tight enough not to "klunk" when handling the reel. Many reels will have a close fit right from the factory, while others will exhibit a wider gap, it's just a tolerance of manufacturing. Also switching to an aftermarket gear sleeve can sometimes change the feel, and need a minor adjustment.
   At any rate...the gear sleeve's fit can be adjusted easy by tapping out the retaining pin and adding a shim washer or two. What seems like a huge gap will surprise you by how narrow it really is. Having a variety of thicknesses will make shimming easier. As stated many times earlier...McMaster-Car is a great source of these shim washers. The first photo shows a typical gap on a stock gear sleeve. The second pic shows a few shim washers I use regularly.  8)

mo65

OK gear heads...this time I have a question of my own. I'm sure most everyone who has handled the #5-155 gear has noticed that many times the cutouts for the eared washers will actually poke right through the outer surface, leaving a sizable open gap. My question is, has anyone ever had this lead to a gear failure? It sure looks like trouble, but maybe the teeth don't engage so deep as to cause a problem. I'm just curious about it... ???

RowdyW

It happens in manufacturing as to how the gear is oriented when the slots for the eared washers are milled. Many are like this on a number of different sized gears. If penn thought it would impair the duribility of the gear it would have been rejected at inspection time.        Rudy

Decker

Mo, nicely done.  A instant classic posting. 

oc1

Someone once suggested that the Penn 160 Light Casting reel is "light" because the gear is like that.  Can't find it now.
-steve

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on May 03, 2017, 04:09:30 PM
It happens in manufacturing as to how the gear is oriented when the slots for the eared washers are milled. Many are like this on a number of different sized gears. If penn thought it would impair the duribility of the gear it would have been rejected at inspection time.        Rudy

Yep! I have a few 5-155 myself, all with the slot going through the gear. these will do just fine.

Good observation Mo.

Sal