Penn Main Gear Talk

Started by mo65, March 30, 2017, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Interesting that the contact between main gear and sleeve can be a wear point.  Most on this site place a higher value on steel gears.  The sleeves have always been brass (to the best of my knowledge), which begs a question.  Why did Penn choose to use brass (or bronze) main gears on most of its conventionals?

I gather that there is only movement there when the drag is in motion (like Sid said,) so it might take a lot of long runs to wear like Mo's pic.   Another reason to be grateful for SS sleeves!  ;D :o 8)

mo65

Quote from: Reel 224 on January 31, 2018, 05:17:04 AM
This is my first look at the thread and it's very thorough I've learned a lot.. Thanks for starting this Mike

Joe     

Thanks Joe, my intent was to pack a lot of usable gear info into one location. Sometimes it gets buried pretty deep, then when I add another topic it's back to the top, and some folks like yourself see it for the first time.

Quote from: Decker on January 31, 2018, 01:39:56 PM
Interesting that the contact between main gear and sleeve can be a wear point.

This type of wear will never occur in my fishing, there just isn't a fish in my waters that will run long enough to smoke a gear sleeve. Well...if I hooked a passing barge...and left my pocket knife in the truck...HA! Seriously though, in ocean fishing, every day someone hooks a big ray or shark and gets spooled. Then that reel ends up on fleabay, and a guy like me buys it. I spent hours troubleshooting that reel, only to notice that sleeve wear at the last minute, and then changed sleeves. Instantly, it was like a different reel. Like I said earlier, more gear food for thought. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Another way that can happen is trolling something heavy and using the drag to let line out instead of putting it in free spool.  standard procedure when salmon trolling using 2-3 lb balls and a sinker release. Maybe that reel is from a light trolling outfit
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tiddlerbasher

An idea I've been playing with for a while is this:
An under sleeve teflon shim (.25mm)

I'm expecting this to reduce any friction between the sleeve and bridge.
Of course there is also the delrin under gear washer. Both washers are large diameter so the dog 'floats' between the two.

And another delrin on top of the stack.

The complete 5 stack - topped by thick washer, no spacer, and 2 belleviles () under the star

Tightlines667

Not a bad idea.  Not sure how it will hold up with use?  The Teflon is a bit softer then the Delron.  It is less fraiable, but more prone to marring/distortion. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Gfish

Interesting, Tb. Does seem like a good idea... So the dealie that looks like a big O ring gasket, is that simulating where the side plate would be?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bryan Young

I've been thinking about Delrin under the gear sleeve for a while. I'm just not sure if the thin material will hold up over time. I have been using stainless steel shims instead...for now at least.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

IMHO there is no great stress on the under sleeve washer - so thin teflon will work - if you can find delrin that thin give it a try, not available in the UK. As I said I'm only playing with this idea. My own feedback is slow so if others try it we may get a quicker/ better result :-\ I just like the idea of a dog between slippy slidey surfaces :)

mhc

Looks good Chris, I like the idea of keeping dogs and dog springs protected - my only concern is that if there is any deformation in either of the teflon washers they could close in on the dog and restrict it from moving. Like you said, the under sleeve one shouldn't be under much load but the under gear one would have the drag pressure pushing it towards the smaller diameter sleeve ratchet. Smaller diameter teflon would be less prone to distortion but wouldn't cover the dog as much. Won't know until you try it I guess - let us know how it goes unless someone else tries it first.

Nice work on the bridge by the way, did you do the jeweling?

Mike  
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Keta

I plan on making drawings like the one below available as I make them.  I will start with the gears I have and can ID but will need help with ones I do not have or can't ID.  If there is interest I will make a data gathering template.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Decker

Quote from: Keta on February 14, 2018, 02:40:47 PM
I plan on making drawings like the one below available as I make them.  I will start with the gears I have and can ID but will need help with ones I do not have or can't ID.  If there is interest I will make a data gathering template.

Lee, I have been stewing some ideas for a Penn parts database, with franken-reel cross-references.   Your drawings would fit right into that schema 8)  My suggestion would be to follow a standard naming scheme for your output, so that they can be easily organized and referenced.   Would you be saving them as CAD files, or images, or both?  This is great!

P.S. I like the template idea too, for building the data incrementally.   This is very exciting (to a geek like me).

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Awesome, Lee. One "OCD" suggestion though: units(i.e., in., " or mm). I know, I know it's obvious yours are inch decimals, maybe not to some, though?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 31, 2018, 05:24:27 PM

An under sleeve teflon shim (.25mm)

I see a "plastic" washer under the AR dog too.  The jeweling looks nice.

Mark Twain

Keta

Quote from: Gfish on February 14, 2018, 08:13:47 PM
Awesome, Lee. One "OCD" suggestion though: units(i.e., in., " or mm). I know, I know it's obvious yours are inch decimals, maybe not to some, though?
Gfish

Not enough room for both but I can get around it, metrics are easier anyway.
Decimals did not come through.

Mark Twain