Painting Side plates?

Started by broadway, May 03, 2011, 07:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

I was looking on Ebay today and noticed someone painted the side plates of a Penn 112H white... it looks like the old garcia mitchell 600 series (sweet). Here's the link- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110682154531&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156  I questioned his method to see if it was something new, but he responded with Krylon Fusion and then Fusion clear coat.  Has anyone tried this, or should I do this next week as a project?  Any warnings other than good ventilation, tape, and spray from a distance?  Should I sand to get a little bite, or use lacquer thinner? 
Thanks
Dom

alantani

boy, THAT would take some getting used to!  sorry, dom, couldn't fish with a reel like this.........

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Alan,
You know me better than that.  I wasn't gonna disgrace a penn senator with the color white... I was just gonna repaint the red or black side plates for a touch up on a couple of captain's reels that I worked on. 
Thanks
Dom

Norcal Pescador

Hey Dom -
Paint 'em white and tell el capitan he'll be able to spot his reels easily in case they sprouted legs. ;D  If he objects, tell him to start taking better care of his stuff or you'll make 'em even uglier. ;D ;D  I'm glad to hear you wouldn't paint yours white; I'm with Alan on this one.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Quote from: norcal pescador on May 12, 2011, 07:41:31 PM
Hey Dom -
Paint 'em white and tell el capitan he'll be able to spot his reels easily in case they sprouted legs. ;D  If he objects, tell him to start taking better care of his stuff or you'll make 'em even uglier. ;D ;D  I'm glad to hear you wouldn't paint yours white; I'm with Alan on this one.
Rob

If that's the case, how about painting the reels a glow-in-the-dark color?  Can even be found at night...  You know, that would be a great idea to see our reels casting from cliffs in Hawaii...  Powdercoat glow...  Could use different colors from your friends to easily identify your reel while you are running to your rod in the dark.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

bryan can i get mine's one in chrome?   ;)

broadway

I was just surprised that there was a paint out there that would adhere to bakelite and these other plastics.  I'm gonna print your "take care of your gear" quote for the captain, Rob.  ;D
PS- when I wrote (sweet) I was talking about the Garcia's not the paint job on the 112h ;)
Hey Bryan,  I'm from NYC... We don't fish on cliffs at night (NEVER)... Ya really learn who's your friend in that situation
Dom

blktwr2660

Hi,Guy's me again 8).Sorry i came into this post so late :'(,But painting your side plates to match your rod color scheme is cool 8).I've painted my reels to match my rod wraps and get nothing but praises for them ;D.Give it a try  :P,Who know's you might like it :D.Will post pic's of my Penn 9/0 painted to match my rod if interested
Not from around here,Just fishing and doing time on planet earth.

Panama

Do what you do.  If painting your reel is your thing then so be it.  I like to keep them original.  What I do is use shoe polish to even out any discoloration on the plastic/bakelite.  Rub it in well then wipe off with a cloth and it works for me.

Anthony
Get on the water, Man!!!

steelfish

reallly way old thread, but I was wondering the same about bringing back the red or black color on beat-up charter reels.

anyone found a solution on a paint that adhiere and stay on the sideplates on rough use as loaner reels?
The Baja Guy

Dominick

The thing about old threads is we see some old members that seem to have ridden off into the sunset and not come back.  Anyone know what happened to Anthony (Panama).  He was last active 2 years ago.  Seemed like a nice guy.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on January 06, 2018, 03:40:24 AM
The thing about old threads is we see some old members that seem to have ridden off into the sunset and not come back.  Anyone know what happened to Anthony (Panama).  He was last active 2 years ago.  Seemed like a nice guy.  Dominick

your right Dominick about old thrads and old folks that arent active anymore, but the good thing is that new members could see the thread and come with new fresh ideas.

actually reading the answer from "panama" about show polish to bring the shine back, it gave me the idea of using permanent shoe dye/tint and try it out on old broken sideplates.
step 1 dye the sideplates, plenty of colors to chose
step 2 use shoe polish to make it shine.

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Alex let us know how this works...Imma bout to treat a pair of charter 113's i bought 15 years ago...love to see if that works...they look they got drug down the parking lot to the boat....

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on January 06, 2018, 09:14:51 PM

actually reading the answer from "panama" about show polish to bring the shine back, it gave me the idea of using permanent shoe dye/tint and try it out on old broken sideplates.
step 1 dye the sideplates, plenty of colors to chose
step 2 use shoe polish to make it shine.

finally did it with leather shoes dye/tint
let see how long the tint hold up on the sideplates.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24249.0
The Baja Guy

oc1

If you paint an old reel it is going to look like and old reel that someone painted.  Not a good look.
-steve