Painting Side plates?

Started by broadway, May 03, 2011, 07:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on February 01, 2018, 07:32:58 PM
If you paint an old reel it is going to look like and old reel that someone painted.  Not a good look.
-steve

for cosmetic or collection pursposes you are correct, but for fishing charters with lots of loaner reels there will be a difference on using a old reel that works good but looks ugly than using a old reel that works good and looks good (no need to look factory new), same deal with loaner rods.

The Baja Guy

Donnyboat

Thanks kevin very interesting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

Strange that this post pops up ...    I am in the process of cleaning up some Mitchell for new dresses .
  I did one during the week .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jtwill98

I don't recall anyone mentioning it, so I'll pass on a tip. 

I had this VW electric pedal kids car that I was trying trying to restore.  The paint was chipping and peeling away.  I removed all the paint, sanded and primed the car to get it ready for paint and noticed the primer wasn't adhering to the metal. 

Not knowing what to do, I contacted a body guy for some advice and he turned me on to using an adhesion promoter before priming. Upon doing this, I had no issues finishing the project. 

I'm not saying it will work, but it is something to consider. 

oldmanjoe

Some more rattle can magic  .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelfish

now you have some pretty unique Mitchell reels
The Baja Guy

Shellbelly

Fishing reel bouquet.  Seriously, that's better than tossing those plates or having them pile up.  Save the stickers!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Shellbelly on October 05, 2023, 06:24:27 PMFishing reel bouquet.  Seriously, that's better than tossing those plates or having them pile up.  Save the stickers!
In a few days , making sure fully cured paint I may glue the 624 decals back on .

oldmanjoe

I had to try swirl painting .  You spray the paint on top of water to make patterns , than you dip and drag the part through the paint .   End results !

reelrepair123

imagine  penn made a white #9 or #109 years ago, don't know how many, don't think there were alot

Crab Pot

A guy on my annual tuna trip has a custom rod, white blank with blood splatter.

I LOVE IT!
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

steelfish

Quote from: oldmanjoe on October 18, 2023, 07:19:23 PMI had to try swirl painting .  You spray the paint on top of water to make patterns , than you dip and drag the part through the paint .   End results !

pretty cool marbling, congrats.

maybe I will try this out later in a chance
The Baja Guy

Bill B

Joe you missed you calling as a graffiti artist.  Pretty cool stuff. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ExcessiveAngler

Yeah man, really like that swirl painting on them side plates, Joe!
You should definitely, give the details of that in a nice tutorial, unless it's confidential, LMAO!
Are they clearcoated afterwards as well?