Fish Fry Batter Recipe?

Started by coastal_dan, March 31, 2017, 12:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Ok, we finally got a small fryer, Presto Frydaddy.  I've wanted one for a couple years, just never committed.  I've pan fried a bit, but I need a good fish deep fry recipe.  I'll be using a mix of peanut and soy oil @ 350 degrees.

Help a brother out!  :D

Thanks all.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

anglingarchitect

Dust fish with seasoned flour, then egg wash then panco (Japanese breadcrumbs)
cook till golden brown.

I have used everything,
Lou is right panco gives the best crunch.

STRIPER LOU

Yup, agreed. The Panko gives it the best crunch! Codfish for supper tonight and you guys already have me hungry!  ;D

.............Lou

Long Enuff

Salt and pepper the fish then dredge in plain old corn meal. That is what I have always used whether pan frying, deep frying etc. But I am from the Deep South.

Big Tim

Dredge in seasoned flour
into an egg wash
then into a mixture of seasoned corn meal and panko bread crumbs

or you can go to the store and get Mckomicks Beer Batter mix (a KILLER)
https://www.mccormick.com/spices-and-flavors/seafood/breading-and-batters/beer-batter-seafood-batter-mix

BT

conchydong

Pretty much agree with others on the flour, eggwash and crumbs. Sometimes I use Panko but I like cracker meal just 'cause that's what my mom used and I got used to it growing up. Of course all three steps need to be seasoned.

For a wet batter, I use the Rick Bayless, Ensenada Taco style batter. It is basically a cup of flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, salt and pepper,1 teaspoon of chicken base or bouillon, a couple cloves of garlic mashed into a paste, a pinch of Mexican oregano and a teaspoon of plain yellow mustard along with a cup of beer. Mix it to a pancake batter consistency. Add beer or flour if needed to get it right and dip your fillets in the batter, shake the excesss and drop them in the fryer until crispy. It doesn't take long and is the only batter I use for fish tacos now.

steelfish

Quote from: conchydong on March 31, 2017, 04:56:03 PM
Ensenada Taco style batter. It is basically a cup of flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, salt and pepper,1 teaspoon of chicken base or bouillon, a couple cloves of garlic mashed into a paste, a pinch of Mexican oregano and a teaspoon of plain yellow mustard along with a cup of beer. Mix it to a pancake batter consistency. Add beer or flour if needed to get it right and dip your fillets in the batter, shake the excesss and drop them in the fryer until crispy. It doesn't take long and is the only batter I use for fish tacos now.

true Ensenada (Mexico) taco fish style

that's what I usually do for fish tacos, sierra, Yellowtail and seabass

The Baja Guy

coastal_dan

Sweet!!! Many thanks to all for input!  I'm going to write them down to try on Saturday...stoked!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bill Karr

I tried for years to get the crust like I remembered as a kid. Crunchy and not too heavy. Finally got it right on a camping trip when I had limited ingredients. You can make as much or as little as you want but this is for a reasonable amount. Take 1 cup of flour, put in some salt or other seasoning, or nothing. Open a bottle of good beer. Take a large swallow. Pour about 1/2 the bottle into the flour and mix until you get the right consistency. The right consistency is when you dip the fish in the mix the batter still clings to the fish. Put immediately into the hot oil. If crust isn't thick enough for your liking add more flour. If too thick add more beer. Drink the rest of the beer.
Bill

theswimmer

Quote from: Bill Karr on March 31, 2017, 11:07:58 PM
I tried for years to get the crust like I remembered as a kid. Crunchy and not too heavy. Finally got it right on a camping trip when I had limited ingredients. You can make as much or as little as you want but this is for a reasonable amount. Take 1 cup of flour, put in some salt or other seasoning, or nothing. Open a bottle of good beer. Take a large swallow. Pour about 1/2 the bottle into the flour and mix until you get the right consistency. The right consistency is when you dip the fish in the mix the batter still clings to the fish. Put immediately into the hot oil. If crust isn't thick enough for your liking add more flour. If too thick add more beer. Drink the rest of the beer.

Yup Bill,

That!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Bill B

Beer batter is the way to go.....fish, onions, squash, toss everything into the batter and fry....good eats brother....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ChileRelleno

Another vote for seasoned flour dredge, dip in egg wash and then Panko crumbs.
You can also add Parmesan cheese to the Panko.

But for fish tacos, hell yeah, the Ensenada batter recipe is awesome.
Though the version I've used doesn't have the oregano, I'll have to try that.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

Now that's food pRon first class.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Big Tim

From a guy trying to pass a BP test for work ... I hate you  ;D, but I could devour all of that right now. OREO!!! your'e killin' me man ... and di d we not tell  you the Panko would be a hit  ;D ;D ;D, tremendous

BT