Fish Fry Batter Recipe?

Started by coastal_dan, March 31, 2017, 12:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

That looks good...good job! Panko stays crispy, I usually go 50-50 flour and panko.

The "pastella" I like the most has 16 oz of sparkling water, one bottle of beer, both very cold.
00 flour, salt, pepper, one egg and a tbs of olive oil. mix everything together keeping it really loose.
Dip the fish or veggies and deep fry.

This is light and very crispy

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Everything looks yummy.... but fried Oreos?
It's that a local food name or are the cookies?
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Y'all that's all good and all but where I'm from we can fry water at the state fair and sell it and  stick a chicken laig in the chocolate fountain at Golden Corral for desert.

-bowl of milk (not that skim latte soy yuppy crap. Whole milk that came from still breathing porterhouse steaks) two eggs beaten into it. With the yolks. Again, this is not yuppy ecohealth warrior friendly.

- dredge fillets then powder in Moss's Seafood Breader. I know.  They don't sell that in Philly.  It's made by Buffaloe Creek milling where I'm from, on a real gristmeal. Keep fish to about four finger size. Drop in at 350 til  golden. Best frying tip you'll ever get besides 350 degrees is add 1/4 stick butter. It will make a piece of chalk brown up pretty as pecan pie.

Danny Boy, pm yo address I will send meal.  If you can't wait use flour or panko with a lot of black pepper, old bay, touch of paprika is good.  I love a good craft beer as much as anyone but you'll be needing a carton of IC Light my friend! 

coastal_dan

John I had to read that three times to figure out what you were saying  :D ;)  I'm not a big craft beer guy, I think I'm too cheap.  If I do drink beer I prefer High Life or Coors Banquet.

Yeah, fried food certainly isn't a mainstay up here...I felt like a bloated whale after eating all that golden goodness.  We did a 5 mile hike yesterday and I realized why fried food is considered 'unhealthy', it was like a bowling ball sitting in my gut! Haha.

Oreo's are a Nabisco product, white cream sandwiched between two crunchy chocolate thin cookies.  Dipped in milk they are awesome, fried takes them to a whole new level  :D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

otownjoe

I like to fry fish in a 50/50 mix flour and corn meal. Seasoned to your liking. I use salt,pepper,a little bit of onion powder and just a pinch of dry mustard. I keep the fish pieces small and store them in a bucket of ice water. I go straight from the ice water to the coating,no egg wash needed. The first time I saw someone do it this way I thought they were doing it wrong until I tasted it. I only fry this way with the  smaller fish I catch. Served with some hot sauce and cheese grits and your in artery clogging heaven. I've tried a fish and chips style batter but still haven't perfected one yet. From what I've read so far I may be over complicating it it . Sounds like simple is better. Joe

thorhammer

Quote from: coastal_dan on April 03, 2017, 12:09:34 PM
John I had to read that three times to figure out what you were saying  :D ;)  I'm not a big craft beer guy, I think I'm too cheap.  If I do drink beer I prefer High Life or Coors Banquet.

Yeah, fried food certainly isn't a mainstay up here...I felt like a bloated whale after eating all that golden goodness.  We did a 5 mile hike yesterday and I realized why fried food is considered 'unhealthy', it was like a bowling ball sitting in my gut! Haha.

Oreo's are a Nabisco product, white cream sandwiched between two crunchy chocolate thin cookies.  Dipped in milk they are awesome, fried takes them to a whole new level  :D
[/quote

Coors is perfect. I boil skrimps in Miller products.

steelfish

Quote from: coastal_dan on April 03, 2017, 12:09:34 PM

well I am addict of Oreos cookies (the normal stuff not of the 10 variations) so I already knew the underlined words, but I really didnt even though on frying cookies, damn thats new for me !! sorry Dan but some some reason it doesnt sound too appealing to me.

when I want to fry something along the fish I cut some orions, zuccini, carrots, cauliflower, jalapenos (without seeds) and yellow jalapenos, all those along the fish on the same plate are a bomb!! on flavor and on your blood haha

The Baja Guy

coastal_dan

Ok, now I gotcha Alex.  I think it is a 'County Fair' thing.  It was my first time eating them, but it won't be the last.  8)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

steelfish

Quote from: coastal_dan on April 03, 2017, 05:12:58 PM
Ok, now I gotcha Alex.  I think it is a 'County Fair' thing. 

now that you say it, I remember seeing a TV program of " Deep fry master " or something like that on Discovery channel were they fried everything, chocolate, cookies, whole burguer, etc

The Baja Guy