Common parts to keep on hand?

Started by Rickb, May 19, 2017, 07:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickb

Hi, ;D
   I have just started collecting penn reels and have 4/0s,6/0 114h and 9/0s
plan on getting more penn reels
Wondered what parts normally need replaced,or what parts you like to keep on hand?
   So far..  I grabbed some random parts off eBay :)got them today.
    Going to place an order with scotts for drag sets,and thought I may as well add a few
other things
    Should I get gears,extra screws,springs,any ideas?
What are the most common screws? And do you buy in bulk packs? I plan on replacing all the chewed up looking ones.
I imagine I will have lots more questions ;D
  Thanks

foakes

If starting from scratch -- knowing what I know about the quality of Penns -- and the most replaced items:

Drags -- HT100, SS discs, plus dog springs, eccentric springs, bearings for left and right, spring tension drag washers for top of stack.

McMaster-Carr for SS screws --  buy in packs of 100 -- various sizes and thread pitches -- as deemed for your reels.  Plus handle lock screws.

Smooth Drag for Delrin Under gear washers, and sometimes top of stack smoothness.

Actually, that is about it -- everything else you run into will be on a case by case basis -- really shouldn't stock every possibility if rarely used.

Parts can be ordered and received in just a few days.

IMO.

Best,

Fred

Plus, If you were doing a lot of 209's and 500's -- just buy a half dozen or so of each from Wal-Mart to strip down for the parts bins.  At about $60 - $65 each -- free shipping, all parts fit, no brainer -- and plenty of parts left over.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rickb

THank you for the reply Fred!

any idea on some of the screw sizes? if I knew I will get a machine  screw tap and die set it should have the pitch gauge in it
  And can order the most common screws and if necessary cut to size
  I used to have all sorts of tools but when I got down and we down sized and moved to smaller place when I was so weak and shakey couldn't use simple tools for a few years I gave a lot of things away....docs were wrong about me cause I am still kicking ;D
     now  I am doing mostly ok and need to rebuy a few things LOL I sure have been noticing that prices went way up and quality of many tools is lacking!

Thanks Rick
Quote from: foakes on May 19, 2017, 07:45:04 PM
If starting from scratch -- knowing what I know about the quality of Penns -- and the most replaced items:

Drags -- HT100, SS discs, plus dog springs, eccentric springs, bearings for left and right, spring tension drag washers for top of stack.

McMaster-Carr for SS screws --  buy in packs of 100 -- various sizes and thread pitches -- as deemed for your reels.  Plus handle lock screws.

Smooth Drag for Delrin Under gear washers, and sometimes top of stack smoothness.

Actually, that is about it -- everything else you run into will be on a case by case basis -- really shouldn't stock every possibility if rarely used.

Parts can be ordered and received in just a few days.

IMO.

Best,

Fred

Plus, If you were doing a lot of 209's and 500's -- just buy a half dozen or so of each from Wal-Mart to strip down for the parts bins.  At about $60 - $65 each -- free shipping, all parts fit, no brainer -- and plenty of parts left over.

Best,

Fred

foakes

Rick --

There are better experts on site than me -- when it comes to screw sizes.

Never thought too much about it, since there are plenty in the parts bins to match up.

Scott's, Sal, and other folks on our site will have this information.

One thing, maybe ease back a bit on the screws until you really determine your needs.  Then of 100 packs make sense to you, great -- if not buy what you need -- or split the cost with a few members.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Rick, the screws I use the most are 5-40 (for side plates) . I usually purchase fillister hd or flat hd from Mcmaster  in 5-40 x 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4" lengths. The longer ones can be cut down for any custom work.

Allen, fillister, and  flat head can be  had from mickeymaster at reasonable prices. For oval head screws I buy flat hds, put a bit of tape around them and chuck them in a drill or drill press and dome them up with a file and give them a quick polish with emery. They work out great and end up costing about a nickel apiece.

Enjoy your new hobby,  ..  Lou

Rickb

Fred,
   I ordered drag sets and a variety of things for reels I have  from pennpartscotts yesterday including some common screws,and springs for reels I don't have just to have on hand .And a few parts  off eBay (i need to fill a few parts bins) ;D
Lou,
  I will order some boxes of the 5-40 ,to have handy for when I need to make certain size or need or want it quick.   I have had to modify things in the past when I couldn't find what I needed and It beats driving 50 or more miles for a little thing
   Thanks
   Rick

foakes

Sounds like you are doing it right, Rick --

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.