Low Salt Kookin" - Roasted veggies, Salmon & Whole wheat naan bread

Started by Big Tim, April 05, 2017, 11:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

This high blood pressure is for the birds..Who knew that if you partied, smoked and drank for 40 years it would screw you up? Well now I got to cook and eat with under 1800mg of sodium per day to start  :o I just figured out I put 3000 to 5000mg of sodium in my body per day forever... This one is tuff, but this meal will feed 3 people with a total of 1200mg of sodium & my share will get a little kick at the end because I was salt free at lunch and only 300mg at breakfast.

The only salt added is in the whole wheat naan bread that later will get topped with fresh garlic, sliced spinach & cilantro then rubbed down with no salt butter

The Salmon will get olive oil and no salt seasonings then I get a pinch of Kosher Salt when plating

The roasted potatoes, onions, garlic & mushrooms sit on a bed of fresh rosemary and thyme, drizzled in olive oil and no salt seasonings ( this gets a little hit at the end foe me as well ;D

More to follow...BT

Taters and mushrooms

naan bread on pizza stone

salmon in skillet

Really good...bread needs some work

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Big Tim

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 05, 2017, 11:39:48 PM
Good Clean Livin' Big T. ;)
More power to you my Man!

I told my mom I have to out live her so I can get her estate and buy my live aboard boat  ;D She told me I best get better at living because I already am good at dying...Damn that woman is smart  ;D

BT

Rancanfish

BT, you do it!  My wife went down a few month's ago with what turned out to be HBP.  Really close to going to over to the other side.

She actually has her blood sugar down too.

I stopped adding salt about 20 years ago.  It's in everything.  I confess I have to sprinkle some on an apple.....
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Big Tim

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 05, 2017, 11:55:56 PM
BT, you do it!  My wife went down a few month's ago with what turned out to be HBP.  Really close to going to over to the other side.

She actually has her blood sugar down too.

I stopped adding salt about 20 years ago.  It's in everything.  I confess I have to sprinkle some on an apple.....

RAN, it's everywhere!!! I never read a label till 3 weeks ago and I'm stunned...I'm a good cook and I will figure this out and i will live longer  ;D ;D ;D

BT

Shark Hunter

Quitting Smoking is the first big step.
I can't believe I did it for 35 years.
I'm pushing 52, and I haven't had a cig for 40 months.
Its the best life choice I have made.
I'm just glad to see you doing so well, with the new job and all.
I've never been on a diet in my life.
Maybe I should start.
Nah. ;D
Life is Good!

philaroman

try Calcium Chloride -- not so great for cooking, but as a table salt it tastes pretty close to Sodium Chloride & TOTALLY HARMLESS!!!

a bit expensive though -- CaCl is maybe 20X the price of NaCl, but when it's your health...

MarkT

Looks good. I never put salt on anything, processed foods are full of it so I figure I don't to add any. I do like my ground pepper though!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

swill88

Hey! Can't a chef be a Sensei?

I think so.  For what it's worth :D

Steve

ChileRelleno

Oh yeah, that salmon looks exquisite, nice crunchy exterior, perfect!
And the fungi... Mmmmm, fungus.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."