No Salt - Whole wheat honey and cinnamon bread

Started by Big Tim, April 06, 2017, 08:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

Keeping up with my new healthy diet I took a simple whole wheat bread recipe and omitted the salt, added raw honey instead of sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon and only whole wheat flour...375 for 15 minutes then a foil tent and another 15 minutes for a total of 30 minutes of baking time...My first loaf of bread ever...Killer  ;D

Money Shot

foakes

Hey Tim --

You are on the right track -- that bread looks delicious -- however, think about going a little further with your new diet habits...

I am not a health nut, but I have learned some little known things, that few companies want us to know -- because to food corporations, too much money is involved.

We are allowing the food industry to do the same thing to us that the tobacco companies did.

Honey is sugar -- same basic effects -- just not quite as bad as refined --  but sugar is still sugar.

According to leading researchers (without corporate sponsers) -- 80% of the illnesses in the US would be eliminated (High blood pressure, diabetes, cancers, obesity, heart issues, on and on...) -- if just sugar was eliminated from our food intake.  However, many of the foods we eat are processed with added sugars --

If we talk to some smart doctors candidly and listen to what they have to say -- we will learn much.

However, it still boils down to a simple plan that you must implement and stick to yourself -- based on common sense and nutritional information.  And the government is not giving us honest information about foods.

This movie, Fed Up -- on Netflix, is a real education and eyeopener -- it will change the way you live and eat -- if you want to.  Check out this video on YouTube:

We need to remember that early people, before organized civilization -- would eat whatever they could find, meat, tubers, fruit, nuts, honey, fish, etc..  However, they were healthy because they also were very active every day foraging, hunting, walking, working.

I put on about 15 pounds extra between November and March -- lack of physical activity.

Even though I was eating pretty healthy -- exercise, water, and a balanced eating regime is key.

A typical day consists of a morning double shake (5 cups) made with an apple, banana, tangerine, whey protein, 1 cup of 1% milk, water, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter powder, and cinnamon -- blended together.  2 cups of coffee with half and half and Stevia.

Lunch is a large bowl of good non-additive cereal with 1 cup of 1% milk.

Dinner is generally either grilled chicken, a 8 oz ribeye, fish, or something that is meat -- a carb like a 1/2 baked potato, salad, veggies, and a Zevia soft drink.

Plus I drink 6 or 8 16 oz containers of water daily.

Work physically for 3-4 hours a day -- work on reels the rest.

Never take drugs or medicines.

We eat dinner out (whatever we want) at least twice a week.

Am losing 3 pounds a week (5 since last Thursday) -- feel great -- am not hungry -- sleep well, and everything else is working well.

We set goals that are on our refrigerator -- with a fun prize when that goal is attained.  This year it is a couple of new Apple laptop Airs -- last year it was kayaks.

I know this all sounds corny -- and it is too long of a sermon -- but it is so important to our family (Ohana) and our personal families.

Some will get it, some will not, some won't care, some won't agree, some are already doing this -- and more.

But here is a challenge -- Watch the movie "Fed Up", learn to read food labels, cut out the sugar and foods that turn into sugar, drink plenty of water, do physical activity as you can for a couple of hours a day -- then give it 3 weeks and pay attention to the change and the way you feel.  This could add 10 or 20 years to your life -- and more enjoyment.

Sorry for the long rant -- but if you give this a try -- you will toss out all of the diet books, reduce your medical expenses, and feel much fitter.  

And one good habit when going to a grocery store -- try to stick as much as possible to the items around the perimeter aisles of the store --  meats, dairy products, veggies, and fruits -- limit the packaged foods with sugars and preservation chemicals -- they are not natural or good for you.

We use Stevia, a natural sweetener shown below -- looks and tastes just like sugar -- difference is, the molecules are too large to be transferred to your bloodstream during digestion -- just gets flushed from your system.  So we get the sweet flavor when cooking, having a hot chocolate, in our coffee, or whatever -- but absolutely no side effects or detrimental to our health.

There were no fat cavemen! Our society has invented that...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

swill88

That's beautiful BT.... and inspirational!

And Fred...thanks! 

My nutritionist tells me try not to eat anything from a box and eat a colorful diet.

I do this but, way too much. Working on it :)

Steve

Big Tim

Thanks guys...Fred I appreciate your rant  ;D I have cut my tobacco use to zero, my alcohol intake by 75%, my sodium intake to under 1600mg per day when it was over 4000-5000mg per day, my caffeine is now down to a cup on the weekend & my sugar to only honey and what little I get in the now very few foods that come in a container....I could really use a giant rib eye, a double scotch over ice, a huge slice of sourdough bread smothered in real butter and a fat cigar  ;D

BT

foakes

Glad you are doing this, Tim --

Each of us is too important to everyone else and ourselves to not be sensible and balanced.

The FDA is complicit in hiding these facts from the public for years -- and there is too much money on the table for the corporations, pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, and others to tell the truth -- mostly because they either do not know, or they choose to stick their hypocritical integrity in the sand.

For those of you who watch the movie -- you will be surprised, amazed, aghast, and will likely get mad.

Too many folks have been bought off -- at the expense of our health and lifespans.

Don't cut out the ribeyes, Tim -- just cut them in half.

Moderation, education, and simple common sense...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Big Tim on April 06, 2017, 09:52:39 PM
.I could really use a giant rib eye, a double scotch over ice, a huge slice of sourdough bread smothered in real butter and a fat cigar  ;D

BT
Sound like you could pay a visit to ChileRelleno then ;D

You know, eventually we're all going to die, enjoy that rib eye buddy ;)
Quote from: swill88 on April 06, 2017, 09:32:31 PM

My nutritionist tells me try not to eat anything from a box and eat a colorful diet.

Steve
My nutritionist tells me if it smells and taste good...don't eat it!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Big Tim

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 06, 2017, 10:51:00 PM
Quote from: Big Tim on April 06, 2017, 09:52:39 PM
.I could really use a giant rib eye, a double scotch over ice, a huge slice of sourdough bread smothered in real butter and a fat cigar  ;D

BT
Sound like you could pay a visit to ChileRelleno then ;D

You know, eventually we're all going to die, enjoy that rib eye buddy ;)
Quote from: swill88 on April 06, 2017, 09:32:31 PM

Steve

SAL, I'm going to find a way to eat what smells good & tastes good can be healthy...Or die trying.

BT

David Hall

My grandson growing up was extremely overweight.  He was diagnosed with gout at 17yrs old and had episodes where he could barely walk.  He began a self improvement program on his own, changed his area of interest in college from marine biology to nutrition and sports medicine.  He lost 70lns and completely altered his diet.  He rarely has flare ups anymore, turned himself into a monster of a physical specimen, works at a local gym and started his own company working with people one on one to create a healthy diet and exercise plan.
  Anything you can do to make yourself feel better is a worthwhile endeavor.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Big Tim on April 07, 2017, 02:52:51 AM

SAL, I'm going to find a way to eat what smells good & tastes good can be healthy...Or die trying.

BT

[/quote]
:D :D

Quote from: David Hall on April 07, 2017, 03:45:28 AM
My grandson growing up was extremely overweight.  He was diagnosed with gout at 17yrs old and had episodes where he could barely walk.  He began a self improvement program on his own, changed his area of interest in college from marine biology to nutrition and sports medicine.  He lost 70lns and completely altered his diet.  He rarely has flare ups anymore, turned himself into a monster of a physical specimen, works at a local gym and started his own company working with people one on one to create a healthy diet and exercise plan.
  Anything you can do to make yourself feel better is a worthwhile endeavor.
Good for him Dave, I soffer with gout and it isn't fun  :-\ .

As Fred has mentioned, moderation is key. I have a hard time controlling myself, but if you're able to, you'll do just fine.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

One of the most important things no one wants to talk about -- is bodily digestion and elimination.

That is why I do these shakes every day of the year -- when different fruits come into season, it gets different fruit ingredients -- but this is the mainstay 365.

Quick and easy to make, easy to digest, plenty of protein, fiber, potassium, vitamins C, A, and D, and others.

Your body soaks up the good -- and quickly eliminates the excess -- naturally, with no bad after effects.

Tastes great -- is inexpensive, and simply natural.

Went to DiCicco's for dinner last night -- ordered an original Calzone with bellpeppers, olives, cheeses, meat, onions -- plus 4 big slices of their homemade bread with butter, water with lemon.

When the order came, I just asked the waiter for a take-out box -- cut the Calzone in half -- lunch today.

For me, part of eating is timing -- if I eat half of what is on the plate -- and save the rest for later.  Plus eat slower, drink plenty of water -- about 10 minutes after eating -- I feel the same as if I would have scarffed the whole thing.  Most of eating is mental -- if we satisfy the brain urges -- we are full feeling, but not stuffed.

Portion and control -- I eat the larger meals in the morning, and at noon -- then keep working -- and dinner can be either smaller or larger, depending how I have done that day.

So what I do is not a Draconian regime -- or an ordeal -- this plan is just natural, taking advantage of timing, activity, bodily needs and functions, and, not being hungry -- plus it all has to taste good.

Excercise needs to include Aerobic exercise -- where your heart rate gets elevated for at least 30 minutes.

Calisthenics are good for flexibility -- Weights are good for looks -- but for performance and flexibility -- Aerobic type things are the best -- such as fast walking, jogging, biking, working physically steady and smoothly, basically getting your heart rate up where it is working for a living.  We use an elliptical machine when outside is not possible or convenient.

Simple and Corny...

Start out slow, consult a doctor if needed -- then work out your own system -- but start...

Best,

Fred

May not work for everyone -- but works for this child.

--------

Fred O.

ChileRelleno

That bread looks pretty good to me, now slather it in an excessive amount of Amish butter.  ;D

I've given up drugs, alcohol, tobacco, coffee and chasing skirts...  Thats enough for now  ::)

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."