Aluminum Spool Corrosion from Degreaser

Started by tomoswald1966, April 07, 2017, 07:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

This experiment reminds me of Alan's dishwasher cleaning experiment.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

Good save with the vinegar....I would have tossed the parts, now they look used able....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Fishy247

I learned the aluminum+degreaser=bad thing a few years ago the hard way....I used to commercial fish for salmon. Most of the year, we use hardware(spoons, hoochies, etc). The spoons are gold, silver, brass, etc, and will tarnish and reduce their effectiveness if left out in the air after fishing them in the salt. To prevent this, we would soak them overnight in either a diluted antifreeze solution or dishsoap mixed with water. After about a week and a half of fishing, we started losing fish to bad crimps! The skipper thought that I wasn't crimping the leaders hard enough....I looked at some of the ones we had soaking and discovered that the soapy water was slowly dissolving our crimps! And of course, our crimps are made of aluminum....Pretty pricey way to make that discovery!

Mike

reel man

To get that white film off the parts I've used Lime Away, but for a few seconds then rinsed under fresh water.  All the white went away.  Still use white vinegar, and a tooth brush to get that stuck on grease off.