weekend on Gonzaga bay, Baja

Started by steelfish, April 08, 2017, 12:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

amigos, after some months with no time for fishing I finally went with some friends for a whole weekend of fishing yay!!
I had to "burn" two fishing permits from the boss (the real Boss no the one on my daily job) but they worth it LOL

we caught plenty of fish for some good meals for everyone and they were different species, so we have some on the freezer for some good fish tacos, some for ceviche, another one for some fish soup, sierra for meatballs and big cabrillas (leopard grouper) for the oven or grilled whole on a family party.

pictures are not in a particular order, just to enjoy, this is a good day of fishing in sea of cortez, Baja (north), the zone for marlin, roosters, big fat Yellows, monster pargos is 10hrs south, but as you can see we have plenty to a fun day and some good eating fish

starting the adventure

a decent size yellow

but this one was a fatty one

remember the "green bay" rod I wrapped? well it passed the test with honors with a good yellow

a big Sierra (spanish macks)

this was a good sized Cabrilla but looks short cuz it was moving on the pic, they fight like demons

my friend caught some more fish and then we called it a day .. for only for that day and we went to the camp to get some carne asada tacos with tortillas de harina and get some sleep..

next day started with high hopes because the weather was fantastic

casting to the rocks was slow with almost no fish, I caught a brown bass that is more related to the grouper family but they are tiny even when adult age, so they went back to the water

a Bonito, it was ready to be used as bait but it wasnt necesary, so ended up being a good ceviche along with the sierra
after some more different fishes from me and from my friends we called it a day an returned to the beach or port
to eat some fresh ceviche made on the panga from the sierra and Bonito, this was just before taking our way home

this pic was at home preparing the fish to make some fillets and freeze them for later

this was inside of the yellow an whole neddle fish , awesome isnt it?

this was to finish the second day o fishing on one of the last pass while trolling on one of the Islands, the cherry on the cake

sorry for the small pictures but they are that small since few months ago, I think Alan make them that way or something like that, but you can always click control + to see them bigger or zoom on them if you are on your phone.

The Baja Guy

David Hall

Looks like a great weekend trip.  Thanks for sharing.

MarkT

Nice! That YT got what he deserved after being greedy enough to want more after eating that needlefish. After all, gluttony is a deadly sin!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

swill88

You are living the life Alex!

Me encanta Baja!

Steve

Alto Mare

Excellent report Alex! I need to pay you a visit one day.
Thanks for keeping us entertained compadre.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

a little slice of paradise down there,thanks for posting
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Steve-O

Great report, Alex!  Thanks for sharing and the pics are fabulous.  The water was glass, how nice is that?

Most of the plugs look like divers what else works there?

Gfish

I have lots a fun with the needlefish on the reef in Hawaii. Almost impossible to hook with a pure skin n' bone snout, but they'll run fast n' hard before they decide to spit it out. Probably not a good choice for a predator to go after.
Looks like a great place to fish!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on April 08, 2017, 01:55:53 AM
Nice! That YT got what he deserved after being greedy enough to want more after eating that needlefish. After all, gluttony is a deadly sin!

sin leads penance as saying...its true

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 08, 2017, 02:34:37 AM
Excellent report Alex! I need to pay you a visit one day.
Thanks for keeping us entertained compadre.

Quote from: alantani on April 08, 2017, 03:20:01 AM
road trip!!!!!   ;D

I know some AT Guys are Interested  to come a fish in Gonzaga bay, just out a date and year to make it real, it would be a pleasure to receive them Guys

Quote from: Steve-O on April 10, 2017, 12:05:22 AM
Great report, Alex!  Thanks for sharing and the pics are fabulous.  The water was glass, how nice is that?

Most of the plugs look like divers what else works there?

Many lures Work on That zone with those fishes, tadys Jr, salas 6x, speed jigs, spoons, etc, this time they didnt wanted to play with anything else but Deep divers 30ft nothing else

The Baja Guy

steelfish

I updated the first post...

somehow I thought I was attached these next two pics, one is the Bonito I caught and the next is the grouper my friend caugth to finish the second day of fishing and put the cherry on the cake

The Baja Guy