Calstar 690L

Started by Fishy247, April 08, 2017, 04:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy247

Hey Randy, I'm looking for a Calstar 690L, preferably a new blank, but a used and wrapped rod would work too. I don't think they have made this blank in 20+ years, so I'm sure it's a long shot. I had one for a long time and loved to fish it, but unfortunately broke the dang thing last year. If you know of any floating around out there or can keep an eye out, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks,
Mike

SoCalAngler

Your talking a 9' jig stick right? I don't remember a 690L but the T690J in glass and the BTG690J for the GG line are still being made. Though they may be hard to find with issues that Calstar has been going through.

Fishy247

It's a 9' stick, but better suited for surface iron. I have a couple of 690J's. I'm not sure what the official name was. My buddy sold it to me almost 30 years ago and called it a 690 light.

Swami805

could have been a 530, a bit lighter than a 690j.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

SoCalAngler

It could be that a custom rod builder cut down a T100 and called it a 690L? But as I remember the T100 was a little more beffy in the middle of the blank/shut down quicker than the 690J. But as you know taking a foot off the bottom of a stick like the T100 will change the feeling of a rod so maybe this is what happened?

I don't know if you have access to a place where you pull on some blanks but if so the 690J as you know and the 690 in the GG line feel pretty good for a 30 lb surface iron stick with the GG line a bit better feeling to me since it is more parabolic. I don't fish 9 footers but if 8' is alright with you check out a 270H-8. That's that I use for a 30 lb surface iron stick and cast up to 7X lights with it.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Mike, I have seen lots of 90J Calstars, but I have never seen a 690J.  I think that you are in good hands with these two guys who really know their stuff.

I just emailed Tiburon to please ship your 332 frame to me so I should have it and be able to get it on its way to you by the end of this week.  I had hoped to be able to pick it up at Tiburon but there's no way that I can make it down to LA anytime soon.

Thanks for your patience,

Randy

MarkT

I have a Seeker 690J. Seeker rated it 15(25)40 in their 2003 catalog.  I think mine says 20-40 on it.
it has a 9 tip and a 1.015 butt.  The Calstar version is rated 20-40 with a 9 tip and a 1.125 butt.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

IMO the Seekers do run a tad softer in many of their rods than the Calstars withthe same numbering. When you pull on them side by side it is pretty easy to tell.

As far as the numbering on the Calstars a 690J is a 30-40 rod and the 90J is more of a 40-50 lb rod for me.

Fishy247

I bought the rod from my buddy back in 1989. I think he had it for maybe a year, if that. I still have the bottom 7' or so....can't quite bring myself to get rid of it yet. There's no markings on it, so I can't tell what the make is. Actually, if he didn't take the sticker off the butt, it might still be legible. I'll have to try to remove the cork tape and see!

In my almost 30 years of working on partyboats, I've never seen another one of these blanks, and have not met anyone that recognizes it either. It's a bit of a pipe dream to get another, but what the heck...

Thanks for the help guys!
Mike

SoCalAngler

What color is the blank? We may be talking about a whole other manufacture of that blank like Truline or Roddy. Though if the builder of the rod wrote it was a Calstar, my guess it was a Calstar and most likely a cut down T100, especially since you have 7 or so inches of that same rod in your possession and assuming that part came off the butt off the blank.

I hope you find what your looking for, good luck.

MarkT

Butt diameter can help in iding the blank.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

Could very well be a 690L too,they could have made some to see if they would sell. They'd just put a little less glass on a 690J mandrel not real complex to do. If there's graphite in the butt section could be a GX9, their first attempt at a composite rod, those were around for a little while.
You're best bet would be to go to a shop with a bunch of 9' blanks and pull on some and find one you like, although it's tough to replace an old favorite like that.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Fishy247

I know it's not a Truline or a Roddy. It's the old school gold that Calstar and Seeker used back in the day. I'll try to remember to cut the cork tape off the butt tonight and see if there's a sticker there. If not, I'll get the butt diameter. It has a very similar taper to the 690J, so Swami may be right on this one. I'll let you guys know what I find!

Mike