130 Sailfisher, a bit different!

Started by STRIPER LOU, April 10, 2017, 01:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

I was looking for a break from my knob work and thought I'd try something a bit more relaxing, .......... or so I thought!

I've restored a few of these and have another I'm working on from time to time, and even have enough spare parts to make a few more. Just about anything for this reel is almost unobtanium. Although the parts I have left are great mechanically, they leave a bit to be desired cosmetically.

I thought about having them stripped and re chromed and decided to take a crack at it myself. Made up a wooden plug for the lathe and got too it. Polished the spool, rings, base, and bars. They cleaned up nicely and decided to assemble the reel to see what it looked like. Put a coat of wax on it and got her all together and thought it looked pretty darn nice.

What do you think? Chrome or not to chrome? Its going to be a shelfie. Possibly with options I guess?

All have a great evening,  ..  Lou

STRIPER LOU

Wooden plug for polishing the spool and rings.

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

foakes

Looks like a clean, crisp patina, Lou --

If mine -- I would display as it is -- sharp and another skillful and perfect result.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

What a beauty, Lou!
I'd remove the chrome off the handle to match the rest of the reel and shelf it with pride.
Nice work,
Dom

Three se7ens

Thats beautiful, Lou!  Makes me want one...

mo65

I like it! Dom has a good point...might look even better with the handle and shift lever matching. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bill B

Yup...polish that baby...Looks great...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

I'm not one for silver and gold colored reels, but ooh, that's nice.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mhc

Nice work Lou, I reckon you've put a lot of work into that! It would look great with new chrome but it looks great and unique with the polished brass finish.
I like the sailfishers, they're a bit of an oddball size, somewhere between a narrow 4/0 and a 49 or 349 mariner in size, and don't share many internal parts with any other models.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Tiddlerbasher

Lou I like it the way it is - lovely polish job :)

broadway

Like Mo said, go for the eccentric lever too, and while you're at it the star drag. ;)
It's beautiful as is but think if it's not too too much work taking it a little further might be the ticket. It's beautiful as is so maybe just shelf her and when you get time, if ever, finish her up.
Enjoy Goldie,
Dom

STRIPER LOU

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Most appreciated!

I will do the arm, star, and clutch lever when time affords and I'll have to agree with all that it should be done. It just took a bit more time than expected as getting in to the nooks and cranny's on the base was a pain. Those older Penn's have a serious amount of chrome on them!

Indeed the 130 is a bit of an oddball and that's why it fits me. Its actually a pretty sturdy piece. Its been on display at the shop for several days now and I get a lot of ........ Hey, whats that? Just something out of the ordinary I guess.

All have a great day,  ..  Lou

broadway

Lou, I have no doubt that your Sailfisher attracts quite a bit of attention... she's a looker!
Looking forward to seeing her complete when you finish all of our handles, lol. ;)
Be good,
Dom

Fishy247

That looks awesome! I'm with the others...display it as is!

Mike