Help an old newbie out

Started by ldoret94, April 10, 2017, 01:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldoret94

As I stated in my first post, after a 30 year hiatus I'm getting back into offshore fishing.  Primarily 1-5 day trips out of San Diego.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a spot will still be open on the SOA June trip once I get the dates my grandsons will be visiting this summer, assuming there is no conflict.  I can't think of a better way to get back into offshore fishing than a five day tutorial with a very knowledgeable bunch.  So, while I plan to rent most gear if I manage to make this trip, I thought I'd at least get one rig to start with.  I'm thinking a Calstar Grafighter GFGR-700H rod paired with an AVET JX6/3 MC to start.  Am I way off base?  Any and all recommendations, suggestions are welcome.

Pete

alantani

for the trip coming up, i still do not know for sure if we are going back to cedros island for yellowtail, or if cedros will be closed.  and if cedros is closed, i do not know for sure if we are going to guadalupe island.  cedros is all about 30 and 40 pound rigs.  your jx would be perfect for braid and a 40 pound topshot.  guadalupe is all about 60 and 80 pound rigs.  now were are talking about an avet hx, a penn torque 40N or 12 vsx, or an okuma makaira 16. 

it will be one of the two.  we have gear, so don't buy anything.  at least not just yet.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Hi Pete, like Alan said, we will have the gear. It'll all be set up properly. Try before you buy.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ldoret94

Thanks guys...makes perfect sense to try before I buy, as hard as that will be :D

SoCalAngler

Pete,

IMO that's a solid 40 lb setup you listed. If in fact you are looking to get back to the 1-5 day trips sooner or later a 40 lb setup will be a must have. I'm not saying to go out and buy it today but look around for some good deals. I use a JX 6/3 as my main 40 lb setup and have done so for about 10 years now and it is the only reel I bring down to Loreto with me. I do have other gear  I leave there but the JX stays with me.

ldoret94

SoCalAngler,

Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear I'm looking in the right direction.  Debating between the Calstar and a similarly rated United Composite. 

SoCalAngler

UC makes a fine rod for sure and I would not mind owning a few if they came in black blanks.

I'm partial Calstar because I have used their rods for most of my saltwater fishing life. I like black colored rods and reels so I fish the BWC line for my glass rods and the Grafighter line for my composites. I have rods from Calstar to fish 20, I have two setups in this class, 25, 30 bait and another 30 for surface iron, 40 again one for bait/yoyo and a 40-50 surface iron rod. I need to pick up one more rod for 50 lb bait and am looking for a 700XH. The only other rods I fish that are not Calstar are for 15 lb bait/plastics and 60-80 lb bait/trolling rod. I have a few other rods from other manufactures but those are loaners for friends that may need a rod or two.

ldoret94

Calstar was the way I was leaning and your endorsement, on top of the majority of the SD long range boats recommending them has me 99% convinced.

alantani

if it's not too much trouble to transport, and 8 footer would help with casting.  it can also be nice when you need to go over a bunch of guys that are hogging the rail. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I like Calstars, especially the older ones. I'm not sure of the quality of the new blanks since change of ownership. I'm sure they are fine, I just haven't fished the newer ones.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ldoret94

Good points Alan.  I'll have to see if I can fit an eight footer into my car, seven or seven and a half footer no problem.

SoCalAngler

IMO 8' rods are ok for bait and good for surface iron with 40 lb test but a 7' rod can be a double duty rod for bait and yoyo iron. I sure would not want to fish a 8 footer with the yoyo iron for more than a few drops. For me bait and yoyo would what I'd look for first because thats fished most often in the 40 lb class here in So Cal and Baja, then if I wanted a surface iron rod I'd look for something else in the 8' range or longer.

Edit: Just to let you know many of the long range boats rec's are from many years past, it seems that they don't update that info often if at all. Like I said I like UC rods alot but they just don't fit into my color scheme with my other gear. If I was starting over with my gear and not matching stuff I already have I just might to start to like the gray blanks of United Composites.  

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 11, 2017, 02:58:26 PM
I like Calstars, especially the older ones. I'm not sure of the quality of the new blanks since change of ownership. I'm sure they are fine, I just haven't fished the newer ones.

Sorry but I thought Calstar is still owned by Leon and his wife Pat? I could be wrong here but I have not heard otherwise.

Now Seeker did go through a change of ownership a few years back. Is that what your thinking about Bryan?

Rivverrat

Calstar has been up for sale. But I've not heard that any one had bought them....Jeff

Bryan Young

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 12, 2017, 02:03:28 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on April 11, 2017, 02:58:26 PM

Sorry but I thought Calstar is still owned by Leon and his wife Pat? I could be wrong here but I have not heard otherwise.

Now Seeker did go through a change of ownership a few years back. Is that what your thinking about Bryan?
Was it seeker?  Hmm. Possibly. I guess I'm in for a graphiter 80# railrod soon if we are going to use it in June.