Penn International Line Revamp

Started by Rivverrat, April 10, 2017, 04:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I've been looking at the Penn 16VSX. Asking questions that cause most people working a tackle counter here in Kansas to freeze up & go into a " Just Drank two 12 Packs Stare".

Any way I was told I might want to wait because Penn is or has redone the whole International line. Hopefully to be introduced at Icast....Jeff

akfish

I fish mostly Accurate and Avet reels, but the 16VSX is a great reel, and if you can get one at a good price -- which should be possible given the pending new models -- I'd jump on it.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Rothmar2

All I can say is, "I would wait until the new release".

I have opened up the new 80 VISW, which was sent to my mate who has made a bit of a name for himself for his Swordfishing exploits. He has a deal going with Purefishing/Penn out here in Australia. It was the reel used in this thread http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20880.0
Just yesterday they landed a 85kg bluefin on this same reel, which was "bycatch".

I have a few photos of the internals when I stripped it down, but I've been told not to post anything for about another month or so. I will say that Penn has produced a reel that will give you the best long term return on your investment. They have put features into this series of reels that keep them serviceable for many many years, provided they are prepped and maintained under the mantra of this forum.

IMO, this series of reels, over the long term, will be far superior to the VS series.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Rothmar2 on April 13, 2017, 09:13:34 PM
All I can say is, "I would wait until the new release".

I have opened up the new 80 VISW, which was sent to my mate who has made a bit of a name for himself for his Swordfishing exploits. He has a deal going with Purefishing/Penn out here in Australia. It was the reel used in this thread http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20880.0
Just yesterday they landed a 85kg bluefin on this same reel, which was "bycatch".

I have a few photos of the internals when I stripped it down, but I've been told not to post anything for about another month or so. I will say that Penn has produced a reel that will give you the best long term return on your investment. They have put features into this series of reels that keep them serviceable for many many years, provided they are prepped and maintained under the mantra of this forum.

IMO, this series of reels, over the long term, will be far superior to the VS series.

I am very interested to see what design changes occurred.  Of course I am a huge International fan, have serviced quite a few Internationals, and talked to many folks here on their opinions on the different versions. 

There has been alot of talk about the VSX series, and not surprisingly many of the reel repair folks have encounteted some issues.  Always tough to desern what features could be improved upon, and what might he due to expected wear, or incorrect usage/maintainance.

I can't wait to get a new model on my benchtop to have a look see.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rothmar2

John, I think you will like what they have done with them. I will get a post up as soon as I get the all clear. They are still essentially a VS, just with a bit more thought gone into the reel's overall longevity. There was still a couple of things they could have addressed, but overall, they have made some big improvements.

bill19803

I had  the  chance   to use    the  new   penn big game prototypes  a year  ago.  Let  me say i own  5   accurate  atd  twin   drags  80, 50, 30  and i  thought  they   were  wonderful. After  using  the prototype 30  i  might  be  buying  another reel.  Drag  was  smooth at    28  lbs   and     stood  the test  of a   cow   on a high  speed    run    and  then  grunted  it  out  in low  gear   during the  up and  downs. There  were  rumors  that a  certain  gentleman  was a   consultant on the  design, if  true  and penn  followed  his advice  these  new reels will  out perform and outlast   most  anything.

FFisher

ok ok...

Stop the presses.(que the sound of my wallet SLAMMING shut)  :)

I was just about to pull the trigger on a new set of VSX's for the new boat. (Cabo 45' Express w/C12 Cats)

4 @16VSX
2 @30VSX
2 @50VSX

How true is this and is it going to be something I should wait for?
How long till I can get a pic?
Quick search found nothing, NADA Zilch...

Somebody throw me a bone please...

Oh...
HI!!!
Name is Frank.
New to the group.
Been around life a while tho...
:-\

josa1

Hi Folks,

I got the "wants" for a 16VSX a while back, found a nice one on Bloody Decks, and pulled the trigger.

I really like this reel.  I fish it on a 765M Graphite custom built rod.  It has about 400yds(?) I think of 100 pound solid spectra, topped by a 100' length of 80 pound mono.

Fishes great!  Free spool Excellent!!  Casts a sardine a long ways.  Drag is consistent and smooth.

Great for the 12:00 noon slack time.

Biggest fish so far is about 140, but I sure wouldn't be fishing this for a cow though.

josa1

Rivverrat

FFisher,  it is true. That Penn has redone the International line of reels. I've spoke to several who've used them. It's been an on going project with the reels having been in the hands of some of the best reel techs & fished on a few boats for a couple of years now.

Everyone I've spoke to absolutely likes them. They have I believe recently been introduced to the Penn sales staff & are scheduled to be shown at ICAST.

Release to retailers is supposed to be sometime in Sept.

Rothmar2

I see that ICAST is in mid-July. If this is when they will be released for public viewing, I'll hold off posting what I have until then. The rumour out here (Australia) is they will be revealed at the Sydney Boat Show in August.