440N

Started by sharkman, April 10, 2017, 07:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

I have the opportunity to purchase a 440N at a reasonable price, but I don't know anything about the reel.  The reel looks newer than the classic shape.  Can someone fill me in on the details of reel.  Thanks.

foakes

D.A.M. Quick 440N

One of a 7 reel series of Quicks introduced in 1974.

110N - 220N - 330N - 331N - 440N - 441N - 550N.

"N" denotes new style, as opposed to the previous series of 7 reels.

Engineering is somewhat similar from the standpoint of bronze main, steel wormdrive, oversize HD ball bearing.

However the A/R system is completely different, 75% of the parts are not interchangeable -- and parts are scarce.

Even if not used, the factory brown grease will be hard as beeswax.  If used in saltwater, the A/R likely needs rebuilding.

These are good reels for light saltwater, but better suited for freshwater such as Salmon, Stipers, and Steelhead.

Parts are scarce -- I may have a pretty good selection of the 3 older series of parts -- but these are tough -- so a parts reel is also in order.

Good cleaning, evacuate all greases and oils, regrease with modern grease, synthetic oils, check for proper operation.

Parts to be careful with are the tiny "C" clip within the A/R plunger, and the spring for the bail tension.

Good reels.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sharkman

Thanks Fred for the information.

handyandy

If you want a reel that large the DAM supers are really good reels and can be had pretty cheap if you keep your eyes peeled on the fleabay.

CH

On Ebay...the "N" series is much easier to find  NOS parts for than the earlier series in my experience. Plus there are loads of "N" series reels available for parts at a cheap price on ebay too. Bails, bail springs, spools & drag washers especially are more common in "N" series than the previous series (on Ebay at least where I dig up all my spares.) and these are the only parts I've ever needed to replace it seems.

I think the "N" series has a smoother retrieve but the handles are not reversible to right or left hand and the spools are bigger. But retrieve like a singer sewing machine and very seldom need repair unless abused. I've also recently found the drags are easily upgraded to a smoother drag. ( took me 50 years to figure that out, LMAO)

That's my take from 50+ years of using them.  But be aware "most" of my experience is using the ultra-light & light versions.  

Want a good inexpensive well made modern reel in that size? Try a Penn Fierce II 4000, 5000, or 6000. REALLY NICE. About $60 & free shipping with Amazon prime. I recently replaced all my aging catfish spinners with these. You can not go wrong. Made like reels costing twice to 3 times as much.

SIDE NOTE = been catching a good number of large smallmouth the last week on my trusty 110. Water level & temps finally got lined up! I LOVE SPRING! :)
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

sharkman

Thanks everyone for the input.

Rivverrat

Can the 440 series handle 30 lb. line & drag set 7 - 10 lbs. ?  ...Jeff

foakes

Quote from: Rivverrat on August 29, 2017, 08:37:59 PM
Can the 440 series handle 30 lb. line & drag set 7 - 10 lbs. ?  ...Jeff

Yes, the 440 and 440N are designed for up to 30 pound mono.

However, care must be taken if locking the drag down due to the plastic spools.  And I would not keep mono on the spool when stored over a few months in heat or cold.

Having said that, the spool will produce the drag you indicated, and a little more.

If switching out to greased CFs -- you will produce some larger numbers -- but that is not always good.

The 440 reels are considered HD fresh water, or light to medium duty salt water reels.

Braid is not recommended on plastic spools -- only metal or aluminum, on these types of spinners.

Other thoughts --

The old green, ugly Quick Super 270 is a solid reel for large applications -- and it has a metal spool.

The 330/331 & the 440/441 reels have the same size body and gears -- the difference is the spool and rotor size.

An astute fisherman could take a 330/331 -- get a metal spool from a old Finessa (which was the predecessor to the 330) -- the spool will just snap in place.  If you don't need the extra spool capacity of the 440 -- the old Finessa, or a 330/331 with a metal spool will handle larger drag numbers, and braid, if desired.

This spool switch-out will not work on the "N" series reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

FRED !  THANKS !   For the much needed information. 10 lbs. of drag is going to be just fine from a 440. I've other reels for high drag, Big Cats.

Fred I've been buying up the DAM Quicks as quick I can afford them. One, you've revealed to me just how nice they are. Two, others of noteriety agree with your assessment of them . 3, Right now there is nothing readily avaiable that compares for the money.... Jeff