Tanked PG545

Started by Maxed Out, April 10, 2017, 11:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Quote from: vilters on April 12, 2017, 07:46:49 PM
so, I have been using the delrin washer under the main gear on my penns/newels/pro gears with good results. for the delrin on top of the stack, is that a different type of washer? to serve as a Bellville? McMaster-carr as a source?

It's the same as the under gear delrin washer. I just put it right below the cupped washer on all my 113H reels. Jigmaster too, smooth as silk with the delrin above and below.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

Quote from: vilters on April 12, 2017, 07:46:49 PM
so, I have been using the delrin washer under the main gear on my penns/newels/pro gears with good results. for the delrin on top of the stack, is that a different type of washer? to serve as a Bellville? McMaster-carr as a source?
It could be.
I've been using these instead of the metal spring washer for appro. 3 years with great results:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#3573A17
Here is the problem though, these will only work in the Jigmaster without alteration.
To me, it is the best setup you could have, but only if you're able to use ProChallenger's custom spacer sleeve.
if you use a stock sleeve, it will eventually cut itway through the delrin cupped washer.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

vilters

thanks for the replies guys. I already ruined a couple pro challenger sleeves trying to make them fit an aluminum sideplate, so i'll have to figure that one out.   

STRIPER LOU

Very nice Ted! To me the 545 is the bomb. Its one of my fav's.

A tough bird to start with has just been taken to the next level. Excellent job.

...............Lou

Smols

Thanks guys, for the info on the derlin washers... will be ordering some from McMaster Carr.

Sal, why is it that the pro challenger spacer sleeve does not cut through the derlin washer but the stock spacer does? Just curious about the difference between the two.

Paul

Alto Mare

Paul, penn stock spacer sleeves are @ .80mm, ProChallenger's are 1.70mm wall thickness.., a little more than double.

Don't try to use ProChallenger's spacer sleeves with the custom aluminum plates, those won't fit, but they do fit in stock plates though.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Smols

Sal,

Now I understand - thanks. I will measure the hole in the side plate on my pro gear 545 to be sure it can accommodate the larger sized spacer sleeve that works with the coned derlin washer at the top of the drag stack.

Paul