traded for a Kencor

Started by Bill B, April 11, 2017, 09:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

My fishing buddy came by asking if I wanted to trade fishing poles.  He handed me this Kencor Tenlew Mangnaglas, CS103, 6'7" with a busted reel seat, for a well used Diawa rod.  I will be using a reel clamp for stability and a couple spot coats of U-40 to seal the wrappings and scratches.  I think i got the better end of the bargain   ;)   Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Donnyboat

Nice, now your looking for a Kencor reel, hard to come by, not many part available either, good luck Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bill B

KK, but what size reel would you suggest?  Didnt even know Kencor reels were out there  ???   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

Those kencors have a cult following,sounds like you got the better end. Nice swap. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Donnyboat

Hi bill, Kencor sold reels for 3 or 4 years I think, I have one @ home, not shore of the discription, and I wont be home for a month, the reel I have is about the size, larger than a penn 113, almost 114 size, nice looking reel, Kencor made 3 or 4 models, the won I have is very smooth. cheers Don. i am shore some one else will chime in with more.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Hi Bill the Kencor reels I was talking about were overhead reels, But I sore a kencor spinning reel for sale or auction on Ebay Australia or Gumtree Australia, a day or two ago if that helps cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

philaroman

Keta

On of my favorite rods is a Kencore built just before they folded.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

I don't remember if Kencor ever made blanks or used other manufactures blanks but the early rods, like the one above, were well made and people liked them. They went out of business or just stopped making rods for several years then came back about 10-11 years ago with a new line of rods. These blanks felt good but we had many returned to the shop because they snapped. Some closer to the tip and some in the middle or way down the blank. The people that returned them we knew at the shop, they knew how to fish (not high sticking a rod or abusing it in some way) and we felt this was more of a blank supplier issue and not how the rods were wrapped. The newer rods did have knock off guides and reel seats so I assumed these blanks came from the same places that knock off this type of stuff.

I think this line lasted 1 or 2 years before Kencor stopped making rods again. I know the newer blanks were either black/dark charcoal or a dark blue and they looked nice, felt good great and many lasted but it was kind of like a crap shoot with the newer blanks. So if anyone is looking at a Kencor for me I'd stay away from the newer blanks.