Magnet Plate for Quantum Energy E500CP Baitcasters

Started by tomoswald1966, April 12, 2017, 01:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomoswald1966

I took 4 of my Quantum Energy E500CP baitcasters apart and the magnets in every reel where rusted. The plate is fine and I'm pretty sure I can replace the magnets myself, my question is this. What size magnets do I need, what kind of magnet, and what is the best way to mount them? Thanks for your input.

Tiddlerbasher

I would use neodymium magnets. The size should be the same as the originals. The magnets usually hold themselves in place on the plate. The magnets are readily available from Ebay and other sources - just google neodymium magnets and you will find a convenient source.

Before installing the new ones thoroughly clean everything. A light coating of marine grease or TSI321, on the magnets, should prevent future corrosion.

oc1

This supplier was suggested by someone, somewhere but I can't find the thread.  Large selection, good prices, fast service.  
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp?gclid=Cj0KEQjww7zHBRCToPSj_c_WjZIBEiQAj8il5CPCGjC2Oe0FkPIamzxlwdwIIPkJTk4zgg7iDD08nyoaAojQ8P8HAQ

The higher the neodymium number the stronger the magnet.
-steve

FishDad

I too have found the same problem as tomoswald with several of my Quantum EX series reels. I just found this thread (I knew the answer would be on Alan's site somewhere). Tomoswald, were you able to find the magnets you needed? If so, where....if you don't mind my asking.

Steve, thanks for the link to a supplier. I looked it over & it brought up a question - how do I know what strength I need? Is it simply determined by the actual size?

Thanks
Dennis

oc1

For many of the sizes, they have two strengths; N42 and N52. It is not a huge difference but I do not know how you would determine which is a direct replacement.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

I just have a selection of similar size magnets (I have only ever seen metric sizes for these magnets). But the magnets have varying strengths (N35,42,52), as Steve indicated. You can easily swop out the magnets 'til it gives the control you need. I don't know of any other way :-\

FishDad

Thanks for the info Steve & Tiddler....guess I'll start with the lowest strength & work from there. Been trying to find used ones to buy with hopes that magnets are still good. So far, have bought 3 EX200 reels, magnets rusted completely rusted away in all of them  :P.

Dennis

Tiddlerbasher

Save your money buy new magnets - clean away the corrosion - install the magnets - go fish :-\