What are your dream fishing trips?

Started by biggiesmalls, April 13, 2017, 12:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Over the years I've seen a bunch of cool locations, but there are a few (okay, maybe closer to a dozen) that have stuck on "The List" for me. In no particular order,,,

CHEOW LAN LAKE, THAILAND
Let's start by saying I have an unnatural obsession with snakeheads. I am actually going to Maryland on Friday until Sunday, and I might go out and try my luck again with them. No clue why I want to catch one so badly - but I do. And the northern snakehead on the Potomac are fun and all, but fishing for them in their own domain sounds far better. Cheow Lan is home to at least 4 snakehead species that are caught (giant, striped, cobra, and bullseye), as well as a whole gamut of other species - like hampala barbs, thai mahseers, and blue mahseers (hard-fighting carp-like fish that grow to about 2 feet long), asian redtail catfish, and the clown knifefish. Not to mention, there are Mekong Giant Catfish living in the lake that are some of the last remaining wild specimens - although I don't think people fish for them. The scenery is amazing here as well, and wild animals are all over the place.

RIO ORINOCO, COLOMBIA
Anywhere in the Amazon would be fun to fish - although the Rio Orinoco and its tributaries might be at the top of my list. Some of the good locations can hold four peacock bass species - the Three-Bar, Butterfly, Tucunare, and Royal. The Butterfly is the same species found in Southern Florida, and along with the Tucunare and Royal, they are normally under the 8 pound mark. However, the Three-Bar peacock can reach 30 pounds, and are absolute beasts - usually they are the target of peacock bass fishermen (other than the FL fishermen who only have Butterfly peacocks to catch). Along with peacock bass, there are tons of other fish to catch - fang-toothed Payara, barracuda-looking Bicudas, carp-looking Matrincha, mini-tarpon-like Sardinata, giant trashcan-lid-sized Pacu, and some more. Let's not forget some people's favorite part of the Amazon - the catfish. Species include Leopard Catfish that reach 3', Redtail and Tiger Shovelnose Catfish that reach 4', Jau Catfish that can reach 5', Dourada Catfish that can reach 6', and the infamous man-eater Piraiba that can reach 10' if given enough time.

WEST PAPUA, NEW GUINEA
New Guinea is home to perhaps the toughest fish in the world, one that might even surpass the GT in terms of bad-assery. That fish is without a doubt, the Papuan Black Bass. These guys are actually snappers, but they are normally found in estuarine rivers in New Guinea - and can reach about 50 pounds, although 40 pounds is a giant fish that will bring an angler to his knees. These fish break 50 pound braid like it's sewing string, and turn heavy jigging rods into donuts within seconds. Along with this species, large barramundi up to 60+ pounds can be found here, and species like mangrove jacks (also a snapper species), golden snapper (this one is actually a snapper too,,, go figure), and the weird-looking threadfin salmon. Plenty of other species have been caught on rivers here too, like Queensland Groupers and Giant Trevally that make their way up the rivers, presumably to feed. Doing battle with a big Black Bass would probably be one of the most thrilling angling adventures that somebody could partake in.

TANZANIA
There are two rivers in Tanzania that are commonly fished, I believe their names are the Mnyera and the Ruhudji. These hold a super-predator that is best described as a striped bass with dagger-like teeth - the tigerfish. These aren't the strain that you find in normal tigerfishing adventures (usually in the Zambezi River, sometimes in other local rivers), where anything above 10 pounds is a trophy. These are a different species - the Tanzanian Tigerfish (as opposed to the smaller Vittatus found across Africa, and the smaller Brevis and Forskhal's found in the Nile River), which average around 8 pounds and can be caught at 20 pounds or higher with some regularity. This is like catching a 10 pound largemouth, along with plenty of fish in the 4 pound class and up - on one day. These aren't the Goliath Tigerfish of the Congo that you see on River Monsters - you can fish for these, and they grow quite large (100+ pounds have been reported), however fishing for them is pretty iffy, and more than one fish a day is the experience of a lifetime. Along with the huge tigerfish, you can catch vundu catfish that reach 120 pounds and yellow-belly bream that are like bluegill that can reach 10 pounds and 2 feet long.

That's my list for freshwater fish. I've thought about adding in a trophy largemouth lake or a trophy sunfish lake, but I prefer to fish smaller ponds that are known to hold a single, smart trophy fish in it rather than a 20,000 acre lake that has millions of dollars worth of bass boats on it. It's more secluded, generally you're the only one out there, and it's a hell of a lot more fun, IMO.
I'll post the saltwater list at some point too.

alantani

we had a visiting physician from tanzania at the office for 6 months.  it would be cool to visit!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

Those would be amazing trips. I've done two exotic freshwater trips: (1) Mongolia where I fished for hucho taimen, the largest salmonid in the world. Taimen, called "river wolf" by the locals, feed on lemmings as well as other fish. It's more than a rush when a 50 or 60 pound taimen rockets out of the water to hit your floating hair bait on the way down. The world is just about out of taimen -- they've been fished out in Europe, and almost fished out in Japan and Russia -- but there is a fairly sizable population in Mongolia because Mongolians do not eat them. Fish are from the water world and people should eat things from the dirt world. I released all 5 of the taimen I caught in a week of fishing. My biggest was 58" long. (2) My other exotic trip was to Egypt to fish for Nile perch. Nile perch are closely related to barramundi and snook but get considerably larger. They have reputedly been netted as large as 400 pounds. I throughly enjoyed this trip and caught several fish -- the largest being 75# -- but don't think much of Nile perch: Their first run is long and fast, but then they give up. That could be because of the 90 degree water temperatures. I also managed to catch several Tigerfish, though the largest was only about 6 pounds.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

biggiesmalls

Alright, here's my saltwater list thrown together. Enjoy the read, it's a longer one.

AITUTAKI, COOK ISLANDS
I can't remember for the life of me who went here one time, but the report was awesome. I'm pretty sure this was the one that inspired the list to be created, since it is the first one on there. The main attraction is, of course, Giant Trevally. In case I haven't said it before (I actually might not have), I feel very strongly that GT's are the most bad-#### fish on this planet. Aitutaki has GT's that average 30+ pounds, and they've been caught up to 50 kilos there, which is about 110 pounds. Alongside the GT's, there are two other giant fish that are of interest (to me at least) - the maori wrasse and the dogtooth tuna. Dogtooths are usually caught by casting poppers or jigging, and they're kind of like king mackerel that grow to 300 pounds, give or take a bit. They can be caught by trolling too, though - they're some of the best gamefish that the oceans have to offer. The napoleon wrasse (or maori wrasse, same fish) is another giant. These are more popular with divers than fishermen, but the fishermen that have caught them say that they're one of the toughest gamefish that they've caught. They're the biggest fish out of the three I have mentioned, and can grow up to 400 pounds with enough time (although 200 pounds is a giant). Getting one away from the thick reef structure would take a LOT of skill and a bit of luck.
Along with the three giant fish around Aitutaki (there are also pelagics like wahoo, yellowfins, and marlin but I don't have too much interest in trolling for them when I have giant reef fish around), there are plenty of smaller gamesters. Inside the lagoon, you can find smaller GT's alongside bluefin trevally, barracudas, and blacktip reef sharks. Smaller light-tackle opponents include queenfish, bonefish, and various smaller reef fish like groupers, snappers, and emperors (usually less than 2 feet long). As you can see, there's plenty to keep you busy here.
I chose Aitutaki because it's the perfect blend of the "South Pacific experience" and the "GT experience". Most places that are recommended for huge GT's are like Andaman Islands off of India, or Great Barrier Reef - but these places involve living on a stayaboard boat, which doesn't sound as appealing to me as an island resort.

BOCA GRANDE, FLORIDA
Of course, I've got to start it out with the tarpon. They run through the pass during something like April to August, and of course hooking a 200+ pound tarpon is a lot of fun - catching one is even more fun. I've heard that they're usually 100+ pounds when they run through the pass, so even if you only get one or two fish a day, you'll be getting quality fish. But the shark fishermen in me likes what's following these tarpon a bit better - the giant hammerhead and bull sharks. Hammerheads to 1,000 pounds and bulls up to 500 don't sound appealing to some anglers, and to that I respond "You are crazy". Hooking into a beast like that has got to be fun, and just seeing an animal that size (a grander hammerhead would be at the very least a 12' fish, probably closer to 13-14'). And then you've got the goliath grouper in Charlotte Harbor, those have got to be fun to catch. I've always wanted to try a handline for them, maybe I'll try for one the next time I go to Sarasota. Aside from the fish in the 100-1,000+ pound class, you've got another gamester that's one of my favorites to catch when we make trips down to Florida - snook. The best part about Boca Grande is that EVERYONE is targeting the tarpon - and overlooking the snook. These are no tiny fish, either - 20 pounds and up is very possible, even multiple of those fish per day. And while you're at it, big jacks are usually out as well, which everyone loves to catch. I've only caught one BIG jack before - and it's so much different than the 1-5 pound fish (mine was 16). If you're fishing for bait, ladyfish and bonito are always fun fish to catch on light tackle, and make great shark, grouper, tarpon, and snook baits.

SEWARD, ALASKA
I've always wanted to go to Alaska - but during the summer, since I hate the cold. 50-60 degrees is doable for me, if it means good fish. And that's what Seward looks like - great fishing. Nothing I can write too much about here, although barndoor-sized Pacific Halibut, King Salmon bigger than myself, a dozen or more species of rockfish, and the occasional pink and/or coho salmon show up during the summer. These would be fun to catch and all, but eating them - sounds almost better than fighting them. Although doing battle with a 50-pound salmon or a 200-pound halibut does sound pretty fun....

biggiesmalls

akfish, those sound like some awesome trips. If I were in Africa, I'd rather be catching tigers than nile perch, personally - but a tussel with a big nile on light tackle does sound fun.

If I were a fly fisherman - taimen would probably be top of the list (maybe under a pissed-off mako). I don't think anyone does anything other than fly fishing for them though.

David Hall

I want to go to a Alaska and fish halibut.

biggiesmalls

That's on my list too David :)

I'll post the rest of mine tonight or tomorrow.

thorhammer

One checked off, and hope to do again....

Off to Spanish Wells, Bahamas for bonefish and pelagics in a couple weeks.

akfish

Actually, I caught most of my taimen casting plugs. I was fishing from the bank and the good water was always too far  away to reach with my fly rod. It might have been possible with  spey rod but I didn't (and still don't) have a spey rod.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

anglingarchitect

I have caught Tarpon in Bocca Grande, 13 in one night when in my 20's, over a hundred in about a 5 year period 1967 to1973.

Steve-O

My first Bucket List item was to catch a River Monster before I got too old to do it. Checked that box.  ;D

After that....can't think of any other place I want to go besides where I've been going the last 18 years ...Southeast Alaska!

Checked that box 19 times now.  :D ;D :o :D

MarkT

Go on a 16-17 day trip to cow town on the Excel.

Go to the Amazon for Peacock Bass.

Go to Ascension Island in the south Atlantic for big YFT.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

Heck, I want to come try and catch that bass out of that pond behind your work!!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Steve I love you but I hope the kids took after the gar :)

Steve-O

Quote from: thorhammer on April 14, 2017, 01:55:01 AM
Steve I love you but I hope the kids took after the gar :)

That's what she.....oops 12 year old rule...

The air temp was 110F that day and the water was either 89 or 90F ...so after the tug of war we were both hot and tired.  ;)

The Big Mama Gar was 7 feet 200+ pounds to my 6'2" 170#.... I think it was a tie.

The 6 footer I'm holding kicked my rear end. She actually drug me standing up down the bank 6-7 feet with the drag locked down tight for the strike. Had to back off the drag or swim.