What are your dream fishing trips?

Started by biggiesmalls, April 13, 2017, 12:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

Quote from: biggiesmalls on May 17, 2017, 10:41:21 AM
Philaroman, that's a pretty sweet looking fish - some kind of mahseer?

it's a cyprinid like mahseers, but seems to be even more predatory & more endangered; only one other smaller species in the genus Luciocyprinus  ...very little info:

http://fishbase.org/summary/Luciocyprinus-striolatus.html

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/summary/181350/0

STRIPER LOU

I would love to fish the Galapagos! I know of a gentleman the captains and mates there and great fishing is within minutes of the dock. Chances are it may not happen but its on the Bucket list just in case.

................Lou

biggiesmalls

Quote from: philaroman on May 18, 2017, 02:13:46 AM
Quote from: biggiesmalls on May 17, 2017, 10:41:21 AM
Philaroman, that's a pretty sweet looking fish - some kind of mahseer?

it's a cyprinid like mahseers, but seems to be even more predatory & more endangered; only one other smaller species in the genus Luciocyprinus  ...very little info:

http://fishbase.org/summary/Luciocyprinus-striolatus.html

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/summary/181350/0

That's an awesome looking fish

philaroman

the guy in the video seems to be somewhat of an expert on your beloved snakeheads, as well...  check out his other vids

biggiesmalls

Wow, how times have changed. I can honestly say I think I'd grow sick if I did all the traveling I once talked about doing! I can narrow my list down by quite a bit now:

1. Aitutaki, Cook Islands (giant trevally and bonefish)
2. Nicaragua (tarpon, snook, and rainbow bass)
3. Gabon (tarpon, cuberas, jacks, barracudas, etc from the surf)
4. Freshwater safari (Colombia for peacocks and payara, Tanzania for tigerfish, New Guinea for barramundi and black bass, and Argentina for dorado)
5. Florida (self-guided inshore stuff, doesn't have to be a huge trip, could even just be a weekend)

Lots of my trips I posted about a while ago don't sound appealing to me now. Driving a boat in circles for billfish just doesn't sound appealing, especially if it's going to cost me a few thousand a day. Snakehead don't appeal to me as much anymore, I can go to the Potomac if I really want them - way cheaper than Thailand. Trolling and bottom fishing in Alaska doesn't sound all that appealing to me either.
I can do the 5 above over my lifetime and be good for life. I'd need absolutely nothing else in life.

Drew

happyhooker

I am very much a traditionalist on this; would love to have a month to hit all the classic rivers, streams and lakes in Yellowstone Park.

If I really want to get crazy, I would like to go to a place like the Falkland Islands or Greenland, where you can fish in a place that is about as wild and as close to nature that is possible anywhere on Earth.

Frank

Gfish

Hit Yellowstone in September, absolute best time of the year.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

My bi-monthly charters are starting real quick, I'm already  twitching. Nothing fancy, just a day at the local islands fishing for calico bass. Pretty much the same crew of anglers as last year, lots of talent, feel very fortunate  to catch on with them. Think that's my favorite fishing.
Done a bunch of 16-21 day long range trips so I think I've scratched that itch for a lifetime.
The one place I'd like to hit before I croak would be New Guinea, Take in the whole place, gotta be some good fishing there.

One truism about fishing is it's usually best in pristine beautiful places.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

happyhooker

Quote from: Gfish on April 13, 2018, 02:48:12 AM
Hit Yellowstone in September, absolute best time of the year.

Would tend to agree; I think the actual fishing is probably best in May or early June, but the bugs suck then and I've been snowed on there in June and not just a dusting.  Less crowded in Sept. too.

Frank

Reel Beaker

somewhere untouched by human civilization... with lots of salmon and huge macks....

no idea where though